Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tore down my 01 800 and found the crank bearings on the MAG side went bad.

How does the oil get to the MAG side bearings for lubrication?

On my 700, there is a small hole in the top of the case where the cylinders sit that lets oil flow to the back side of the MAG bearings. My 800 has no such hole. Does anyone have the hole drilled out on their 800?

I see the slot on the back side of the case where the MAG bearings sit that should let lubrication in. The problem is I have no hole to let oil in.

I'm wondering if thats the way they are - or someone forgot to drill out my case. Please let me know what your 800 looks like.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How many miles on it. how was your oil consumption, did you back it off to get better oil consumption.I thought there was external oil lines,not sure thou.thats too bad

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey gunner I noticed on pg5 dated march 9 ,Liminski had crank problems, and shows pics of the bearings and crank. give him a call.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what someone else posted on another board. I'll
be damned if I can see any grease around my MAG
bearing. Lots around the PTO. I'll go look again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't see any. This has me stumped.

Even if it was coming out - you would think that there
would be some left in the bearing. The seal looks good.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but I thought that the newest Ski-Doos, 2001 and up weren't using oil to lubricate the crank bearings on the pto and mag sides anymore. I thought that the bearings were packed with isoflex grease and bearing seals were used to keep grease in ? This system would also allow lower oil pump settings. I am not positive about this, as I haven't seen a newer Ski-Doo engine apart yet.
Just my thoughts !

·
Registered
361 Posts
As for my crank failure, it wasn't a lack of oil to bearing, as I have updated crankcase modification (hole drilled and chamfered to feed extra oil to pto bearings). I also used Bomb. synthetic oil and had my oil pump set slightly rich. My crank bearings weren't the original "plastic cage bearings", but steel cage bearings that I had installed 2800 miles ago. Those 2800 miles were mostly drag racing and testing on snow, ice, and grass. My motor is ported and was running my Jaws trail pipes at 9000 rpm for most of those 2800 miles. I believe my crank (bearings) were worn from the mileage, rpm's and the fact that they were steel cage bearings (not as tight a tolerance as the original plastic cage bearings), which normally wear quicker than the original bearings, if they both are properly lubricated and if the plastic cage bearings aren't overheated. That is why I went to steel cage, to be able to race on grass in summer and sometimes jet leaner without ruining the bearings (plastic melts).
Hope this helps !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts