Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of sleds for about 10 years and in the market for a new one(2003) I really have my eye on the 2003 zr, but also like the mxz's. Can Anyone help me with this predicament am in. Any thing i should be looking for? I have always leaned towards AC but I want the right sled, thanx in advance.

·
Registered
884 Posts
When in doubt, go GREEN!!! No really, you are not really comparing apples to apples. If you are looking to have the biggest and baddest of the twin cylinder sleds, go with the ZR900. If you want a proven sled that runs well, but is not necesarily the fastest one around, go with the MXZ800. I don't think either sled would be bad, good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Go to the dealers and really look at both sleds long and hard, sit on them and look for what features you want and what feels more comfortable to you, mabey you know somone with these sleds and you can try them, only you can make this decision, both are nice machines, but of course i lean towards the doo, i just like the feel of them and the style.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
And while you are at the dealerships, get a feel for which has better cust. service. That can make all the difference when compairing 2 good sleds. I am partial to cat, but my dealer here is a bleeeeeper when it comes to friendly Cust. service(or lack there of!) but they sell new sleds so stinking cheap I keep crawling back....haha

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 8 2002, 02:48 AM

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like my mxz800 but I think I would go with the zr900, Theres a big difference in power between the two. If your after power get the arctic cat. JMO

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
same here i like my 800 but id sure love to have a zr 900 in the garage :D :withstupid:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would hope the zr900 has more power. ??? I likeAC. I would buy it if SKI DOO wasn;t out. Like the other's said, look at them hard and long and determine what you want from there

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even I am a Doo Man and the ZR900 is indeed faster. My 600 HO is keeping up with the 800 at the grass drags so the comparison is probably better going backwards for this years 800.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would let the 900 be tested for a year first if you can wait. If not, go for it! The MXZ 800 is a nice sled also. Toss a coin, but the ZR900 will kick the MXZ's butt on the lake.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On the lake yes. but where is most of the riding done. ( trails) so I would go with the 800 mxz ( iMO) Don;t get me wrong cats are nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You said you are returning to the sport after 10 years. If I were you, I would consider a smaller sled. Today's 600s and 700s offer some truly amazing performance for considerably less money. Sled technology has advanced leaps and bounds in the past 5 years, let alone the last 10. Unless you are always riding lakes, I think you will be really happy with a smaller sled. the new Ski-Doo Rev 600HO is making 119-120 HP on the dyno, the Arctic Cat F7 is probably making mid to upper 130s. Those are some impressive numbers for their size.

As far as Doo vs. AC, that is like asking for an opinion on Chevy or Ford trucks... I like Doos because the Rotax motors are legendary for their reliability, the TRA clutch is a great clutch, the fit and finish of the sleds are excellent, and the new sleds have top notch suspension, especially the SC-10 III suspension. If I was to even consider a new Cat, it would have to be a new F7. I would strongly advise the new chassis against the older ZR chassis. I have riden the ZR chassis vs. the Doo, and the ZR is not as good. As far as the debate on the new REV chassis vs. the F chassis, it is still too early to tell. :p

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Theres no argument that they are both nice sleds but for raw big time performance ya gotta give the nod to the 900.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for all the input. I am still leaning towards the Big Cat, but now I am throwing the F7 into the mix, I'm headin to the dealer tomorrow to make the big decision, Wish me luck, thanx again. :yee:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts