Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what i saw on johndee.com

"Melted down piston. otherwise in perfect shape Always in enclosed trailer. 2400 miles,red,192 studs, $1900.00"

Is that melted down piston a bad thing? i'm assuming it is, and it has to be rebuilt.....
let me know... its a 2001 skidoo also.... i don't think the price is that bad how much would piston rebuld be? will it run with melted piston?

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
If you can do it yourself and go with SPI pistons it is about $200 and 4 hours if I remember correctly. The stealer will be around $500-600 as a best guess, parts and labor.

$1900 is a little high IMO for a sled that old that does not run... get a quote from a dealer to have it rebuilt, check NADA low, subtract the quote and offer him that and tell him how you came up with it.

The other big question though is "why did it melt down with such low miles"?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You better factor in rebuilding the bottom end as there is a good chance of crank damage. I do agree with finding out what melted the piston in the first place, may be more problems than what you are expecting.

brew

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, i emailed the guy, and i have to wait for him to get back to me.....what are some probable causes? i really want an 800 skidoo, and a 2001 for that matter, i wouldn't mind getting it fixed up... i'm a doit your selfer.... but i don't know if i have time or the right tools, so i'll factor in 2000 dollars total for the snowmobile, tell the guy that it will cost me so so to fix it so drop the price to this please.... then use what i have left of that two grand to go for rebuild....

Labudda....it isn't that old of sled, its a 2001, haha.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replies anyone???... contemplating buying that sled for that price, everything else appears mint, i live within 5 miles of where it is being sold..... i'll look more into its quality.... but i will assume 5-700 dollars total for engine rebuild?????

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it needs a crank you are going to be closer to 1000 for a complete rebuild, it always ends up to be more involved then you first think.

brew

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it needs a crank you are going to be closer to 1000 for a complete rebuild, it always ends up to be more involved then you first think.

brew[/b]

Do you think its worth it? i mean if i get it rebuilt i might as well put some high performance pistons and what not in it, will this sled beat a 1999 srx700 triple triple?

will it go over 105 mph?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Do you think its worth it? i mean if i get it rebuilt i might as well put some high performance pistons and what not in it, will this sled beat a 1999 srx700 triple triple?

will it go over 105 mph?[/b]
It should do more than that if its setup right..... and no issues beating the yama, they are slow mules :whistling:

As with the others, just be cautious, if you need jugs, head and a crank, and even if the bottom casing is damaged or has melted damage of any kind it may need to be addressed. If the piston broke up in any way the little metal pieces get in everywhere... it can be a mess. Alot of times melted pistons mean the top of the rod wrist bearing have melted too and made the race egg shaped(new rods needed).

As long as you are willing to spend anywhere from 500-1400$ it will be a nice sled.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It should do more than that if its setup right..... and no issues beating the yama, they are slow mules :whistling:
As with the others, just be cautious, if you need jugs, head and a crank, and even if the bottom casing is damaged or has melted damage of any kind it may need to be addressed. If the piston broke up in any way the little metal pieces get in everywhere... it can be a mess. Alot of times melted pistons mean the top of the rod wrist bearing have melted too and made the race egg shaped(new rods needed).

As long as you are willing to spend anywhere from 500-1400$ it will be a nice sled.[/b]
Don't bait the poor guy with the slow mule yamaha.

All sleds being in an equal stat of tune.

Will you beat him in the twisties, yes
Will you beat him out of the hole, probably
Will you beat him top end....... ask that if he waits for you on the other side of the lake.

1900 seems high for a sled that does not run.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Do you think its worth it? i mean if i get it rebuilt i might as well put some high performance pistons and what not in it, will this sled beat a 1999 srx700 triple triple.

Those yami,s are pretty quick sled.!!!!! I think they are the triple pipe model they RIP pretty good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Odds are he will have you on top end. By a few MPH.

You will have the better riding sled IMO.

I know if I bought a sled and expected to add $1000 to it to make it ridable and had to add $2500 to it I would be pissed. At myself.

I would take the sled to a dealer or a mechanic for an estimate before I bought it. Rebuilds can vary in price.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Odds are he will have you on top end. By a few MPH.

You will have the better riding sled IMO.

I know if I bought a sled and expected to add $1000 to it to make it ridable and had to add $2500 to it I would be pissed. At myself.

I would take the sled to a dealer or a mechanic for an estimate before I bought it. Rebuilds can vary in price.[/b]

No doubt the srx is fast, powervalves and the triple pipes..... i didn't ask if the sled came with twin pipes or if it was a two into one set up, does the x-package have twin pipes stock? that will give me some added hp right there i hope....

with 192 studs it should hook up just fine, the srx gets up to 90 real quik, they are dogs though when i comes to weight..... the 800 is no exception, but it has the srx with hp, probably 140-150??? as opposed to the 700's 130ish hp....

keep the info comin, this is good stuff! what will the 800 do at top end with a 240 lbs guy on it (me) hopefully over 100mph, the sleds i rode that are over 700 don't really have much initial suspension flex when i sit on them... which is a good thing.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
You better factor in rebuilding the bottom end...
brew[/b]
:withstupid:

Based on what? These are not known for having chronic bottom end problems. The 2001 800's are well known for having top end issues though.

Any used machine is going to have it's share of "unknowns".

·
Registered
19 Posts
:withstupid:

Based on what? These are not known for having chronic bottom end problems. The 2001 800's are well known for having top end issues though.

Any used machine is going to have it's share of "unknowns".[/b]

Based on that the engine has been overheated and melted a piston!!!!
Easily could have taken out a conn rod bearing and there you go, a rebuilt crank.
Not cheap............

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Based on that the engine has been overheated and melted a piston!!!!
Easily could have taken out a conn rod bearing and there you go, a rebuilt crank.
Not cheap............[/b]

am i better off just getting a new motor? i don't know what will be a bigger hassle, if i get the engine completely rebuilt it will run just like new....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts