Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 MXZ 600 RER Sport. I also have a Garmin GPSIII+ that I plan on mounting.

I would like to install a sealed battery somewhere under the hood, preferably by the chaincase.  Then I can run the hardwiring for the gps up to the mount on top of my dash, and I can run longer than 4 hours before having to change batteries. 4AA's for 4 hours gets expensive!

Has anyone done this??  I've searched the web tirelessly looking for battery boxes, battery trays, batteries, etc., and can't seem to find a solution.

Can someone help me out??

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Go to the bombardier parts counter and order one.

On mxz with electric start the battery is located right by the chaincase so thats where the battery goes anyway.  Then you get the wires so the engine charges it and away you go.

But why do all that.

Your sled makes 12V when running.  You can plug into on of the 12 volt wires normally around the gauges and switches.  Right now in the bombardier parts book they sell 12 volt plugs and even the visor plugs are 12 volt.  All of which you could plug into for your GPS.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A sled produces a.c current like your house, you need d.c to power your gps. You could run it though a rectifier but I don't thing the voltage would be constant enough to run the gps. Mount a small 12 volt battery to power your gps and wire in a small 1amp charger that you can plug in to keep the battery charged, worked for me.

·
1,327 Posts
Hey Morty,

Machzzz1 is right again,(as usual)

You could just to to the local auto parts store in your area and pick up at cigarette lighter plug and install it somewhere.

I used the area around the start/RER button and the factory electric visor outlet.

Then all you need is the proper adapter for the GPS, Garmin sells them on their website for about $25.

Good luck

DP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts