Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first POST!
I've read so much here, ALOT of great info and peeps here seem very cool and willing to share info and ideas. Thank You for that!

anyway, i own a '98 MXZ 670 Rotax. (i love it!) but maybe not for long.
one day it started Bogging at higher speed (top end)
and seemed to do it more when the sled gets warmed up.
it wouldn't always bogg but most of the time it did, again only at higher speeds like 35 mph and up..
so first i had the carbs and clutch cleaned. NO GO.
then, top half engine rebuilt. NO GO.
then, crank seals replaced bearings all checked out good. NO GO.
then, spring in secondary clutch we looked at it (it didn't look bad or stretched or twisted?)
and now we are thinking about getting the STATOR rebuilt :(
next will be coil?

Its starting to cost a lot of money but i really like this sled, when its running good it has a lot of (BALLZ!).So im really hoping the STATOR will be the solution. i read a lot of good ideas from you all here in the forum. Would love to hear from you if you got any advice or suggestions or SUPPORT :(

Thank You.
BiLL
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :christmas: :christmas: :christmas:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My first POST!
I've read so much here, ALOT of great info and peeps here seem very cool and willing to share info and ideas. Thank You for that!

anyway, i own a '98 MXZ 670 Rotax. (i love it!) but maybe not for long.
one day it started Bogging at higher speed (top end)
and seemed to do it more when the sled gets warmed up.
it wouldn't always bogg but most of the time it did, again only at higher speeds like 35 mph and up..
so first i had the carbs and clutch cleaned. NO GO.
then, top half engine rebuilt. NO GO.
then, crank seals replaced bearings all checked out good. NO GO.
then, spring in secondary clutch we looked at it (it didn't look bad or stretched or twisted?)
and now we are thinking about getting the STATOR rebuilt :(
next will be coil?

Its starting to cost a lot of money but i really like this sled, when its running good it has a lot of (BALLZ!).So im really hoping the STATOR will be the solution. i read a lot of good ideas from you all here in the forum. Would love to hear from you if you got any advice or suggestions or SUPPORT :(

Thank You.
BiLL
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :christmas: :christmas: :christmas:[/b]

You may want to start it and drive it at high speed before the engine has time to warm up - I'm not suggesting that as a standard operating procedure but sometimes a bad seal doesn't show it's ugly head until the motor heats up. If it goes good w/o bogging at high speed when cold you may be better able to isolate

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
My 87 El Tigre had a bogging problem - at first it was only when warmed up, then intermittent, then total. Turned out to be a bad coil. Mine has 5 coils - 1 lighting, 2 internal and 2 external. It was the internal coils that needed replacing. I don't know if this is the same as the 'stator' on yours or not...

I hate electrical problems. Good Luck with yours! Don't give up - this year is looking really good for snow so far!

dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup,new plugs and new crank seals .
a lot of new stuff actually but same bogg..
when i get a fix i will post the results here for any future poor souls
who may experience this with their sleds.

pretty sure it is electric but at this point i wouldn't guarantee anything.

thanks for the input fellas, keep em comin please.

Thanks!,
BiLL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 87 El Tigre had a bogging problem - at first it was only when warmed up, then intermittent, then total. Turned out to be a bad coil. Mine has 5 coils - 1 lighting, 2 internal and 2 external. It was the internal coils that needed replacing. I don't know if this is the same as the 'stator' on yours or not...

I hate electrical problems. Good Luck with yours! Don't give up - this year is looking really good for snow so far!

dave[/b]
Hey dave ! im up in northern MN. near Brainerd! CHEERS!

BiLL

·
Registered
149 Posts
how about your fuel lines? make sure that you dont have a kink in them, also there are on some skidoos there are small filters when you take the gas line off of the carb, there is a small sock filter small white one check that see if thats not gummed up?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
fuel pump either have the wrong one or a ripped diaphram in the pump

Skidoo use high pressure vacuum pumos on the rotary valve engines

There is no aftermarket pump or rebuild kits available that has enough flow you have to get guenuine Bombardier high flow pump

I gather at higher rpms your are not getting enuff fuel hence the bogging

Just my 2cent
Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey dave ! im up in northern MN. near Brainerd! CHEERS!

BiLL[/b]

My 98 Formula Z 670 did that i had to adjust the floats so it didnt let in as much gas and that fixed the problem i cleaned the carbs before and it didnt help so my unlce adjusted one and i had to do the other but it was definately a cheap and easy fix

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 98 Formula Z 670 did that i had to adjust the floats so it didnt let in as much gas and that fixed the problem i cleaned the carbs before and it didnt help so my unlce adjusted one and i had to do the other but it was definately a cheap and easy fix[/b]
Hello.. You may want to do a stator out put test. Check to see if you get steady ac output using a ac voltmeter connected to your stator coil wiring . Give a good sharp pull on recoil and check to see if you have 40 or more ac volts coming from stator. Do several of these pulls and you should be seeing consistant voltage ( not 20 v one time and 50 v another). I f voltage is too low it wont trigger the cdi box to send a signal to coil. Your stator could contain both a high and low speed coil with one failing and the other working. Test with a hot engine to duplicate failure conditions. You can also do an ohm test on stator to check for a short , there again the hotter the motor the better the test.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, a few weeks later and now i have replaced the stator and STILL it BOGGS.
next i guess we will try the coil and cdi box replacement.
we think it is electrical because one plug is a little wet.

any help appreciated guys ,
thanks so much.
BiLL

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Before you spend any more money why don't we check a few simple things because throwing money at it doesn't seem to help but make your pocket lighter.

1) Check the carbs for leaking float valves and assure the float level is 18.1 mm. (the fact that it runs good cold tells me that it's fuel rich related and the the plug being wet hot is more proof.
2) check compression hot to make sure you have at least 120 Lbs. (I have seen stuck rings cause this)
3) Check the spark plug protector boots for arcing and burnt resistors. ( the boots unscrew of the wires and are suspect when motor drops a cylinder in high speed operation).

Get back with these result and we can move forward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Before you spend any more money why don't we check a few simple things because throwing money at it doesn't seem to help but make your pocket lighter.

1) Check the carbs for leaking float valves and assure the float level is 18.1 mm. (the fact that it runs good cold tells me that it's fuel rich related and the the plug being wet hot is more proof.
2) check compression hot to make sure you have at least 120 Lbs. (I have seen stuck rings cause this)
3) Check the spark plug protector boots for arcing and burnt resistors. ( the boots unscrew of the wires and are suspect when motor drops a cylinder in high speed operation).

Get back with these result and we can move forward.[/b]

great watchin you at work TD!!!........happy postin.....Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks thumb doc! ive read alot of your posts here, you have been a big help for ALOT of us folks.
i will run these tests you mentioned and get back to you.
a few things to remember:
in cold or warm weather the sled still act this way, BOGGS at higher rpm/speed.
once started the sled runs good for anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour then it starts to BOGG at high rpm.
the first thing we did was go thru the carbs, clean and even replace and adjust jets.
(after the carb work we did ,the sled still acted up the exact same way.)
the compression should be good, because the entire engine has now been totally rebuilt.

forgive me though if i sound like a rookie ( GUILTY )
my buddy works on sleds alot he's doing most of the work for me.

anyway i really appreciate your input cuz you obviously know a lot about sleds.
I'll run these tests and post the results soon.

Thank You!
BiLL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts