Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 MXZ 583... its very hard to pullstart (as in hard to pull the starter rope.. only with two hands... even harder than a 2002 800).  I heard that the starter assembly can be replaced with one that contains a larger pulley making it as easy to pull as a newer 600.  I also was quoted a price at a local dealer (Canadian) at $300.  This seems quite expensive upgrade to me... is there anything I can do myself to rebuild it to make it easier, or anyone have a used one that would fit, or...?  Reason I ask is that I want to make this sled the wife's next year... I am liking that REV&#33
... and she could never start it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Try salvage www.snowmobileparts.com. I phoned these guys and the had some hard to find parts for the boys 82 polaris and had good prices too.       For a new pull stat it sounds about right because I think you would need the  housing and the hub for the crank.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's definately worth the money. I upgraded my 95 670. the difference is night and day. One hand sitting on the sled, from two hands and a foot for bracing. You need recoil assembly, adapter ring and rubber ring. All said and done closer to $500.00 Can. You can use your old hub.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah my 98 670 doent pull too easy either. I guess its a safety device since my 18 year old sister cant even come close to pulling it over lol. Shes no wimp either, 6th in the state in the 200m dash.
                 Ryan

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a 583 and it wasn't hard to pull over, nowhere near the 670, until I put on a tight belt and then it tightened up the clutches.Before you spring for a new starter assembly take off the drive belt and see if it is easier to pull over.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for that site!  I was studding my machine tonight when I noticed I had some broken components in my skid!
  I have a race Sunday and am hoping to have this fixed by then!  Thanks again!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This hard to pull "feature" is normal for this model/year... supposedly ski-doo changed it after only 2 years.  I have pulled on a 670 and its ALOT easier to pull than on my machine.  I called some local dealers... the "unsmart one" (not getting my business) said its not doable.  Another dealer said that if I bring in my existing unit, they can rebuild it into an easy pull one for $175 CDN.  Once I pay for my new pistons, rings, etc (another story) I will do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts