Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get more of a low end acceleration for radar/drag racing. How would someone go about doing this with the gearing?

Is it better to have a top gear with more teeth? Or is it better to have a top gear with less teeth? Do I need to adjust the length of the chain with the modifactation of the top gear?

Or am I way off and I need more teeth on the bottom gear? Or less teeth on the bottom gear? Do I need to adjust the length of the chain with the modifactation of the bottom gear?

I am posting this in both the Ski-Doo and Performance Sections.

Anything would be helpful. Please Note: I have 192 studs in my track that I put in this season. So my traction is superb.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have the same sled as you do, and dropped the top gear from the stock 25 to 24 teeth. I lost a few mph at top end, but it gets there much faster. I didn't have to change the chain.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The type of racing that you do and the size of machine you are running is going to determine what type of gearing combination you want to aim for.

If you are going for 500' or 660' Drags then you will want gear way down. Gearing down can be achieved one of two ways, either you decrease the number of teeth on the top sprocket or you increase the number of teeth on the bottom sprocket. Depending on what gear combination you end up with will determine what length chain you will need. Most dealers will have a spread sheet available with gear combinations and what chain is required for that particular combination. Quite often you will be able to come up with a gear ratio that will either use one of the gears and or the chain that you presently have.

The gear combination is quite commonly referred to as the gear ratio. (ie: 21/44 = 2.09 ratio)

In drag racing you want the ratio to be 2.00 or above and speed runs are generally around 1.50 -1.75 depending on what size engine you have and if you are running stock class or open mod. Obviously the more power you have available the more gear you will get away with.

Let us know what you have and how long the track is, I know we will be able to help you out.

Also you can check out cmsaracing.com. There is a mph calculator there will help you figure what gear combination you want to use.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts