Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mxz 800 Renegade. I have had the carb recall performed but am suffering from poor mileage and of most concern "I call it an after fire in the muffler". An example would be going across a lake for 5-6 miles at half to full throttle then stoping,letting the engine idle down, turning it off to discover a few seconds later a relatively large flame will come from the muffler.If the engine is not let to idle down it will often backfire. The plugs are a farely good colour. As from talking with other people this problem seems to be common among the 800's.Any suggestions as to recitifing the problem?

P.S     I hear only rumor that Bombardier is having another recall to solve this problem.They will be reprogramming the DPM. Is this true?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I asked my dealer this same question on Tuesday the 22nd. He said he has not heard of anything yet. 02 MXZ X 800. The gas consumption has gotten better from the first tank. (On the 3rd tank). Wait and see.

Still Love It!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Dobber, I got a letter from Bombardier the other day that stated the a few of the techs at some of the dealerships were not preforming the carb recall right. The problem on the carbs was that the siphone tube (that the neddle drops down through in the main body) was set to low and would not create a draw across the tube to pull the fuel up out of the bowl in the right amount. The motors would run lean and sieze. The recall gave the dealerships the tools to reset this tube to the right hieght. To get it to the right hieght you have to drive the tube up pass the point that it should be and then install a special cap to drive it back down to the right spot. If it is not driven back down to the right spot it will draw too much fuel and make it quite rich.
I have an '02 800 MXZ Sport and all of the carbs that I perfromed the recall on have had no problems with fuel mileage and or flames out the pipe. My first tank full I got about 8 mpg and I rode it like it was suposed to be riden...HARD! The next tank of fuel is at 10 mpg. My buddys MXZX 800 is getting around 12 mpg with 400+ miles on it now.

So, I would have the carbs looked at again to make sure that they were done like they should be. And yes they are talking about re-mapping the MPEM's to increase mid range and upper rpm performance.

hope this helps some
Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Dobber i have been going through the same thing you have. I have 300 miles on the sled only getting 5 miles to gallon of gas it has not gotten any better. Took my sled to another dealer yesterday going to pay them to go over the carbs. I to have heard all the rumors. But most people are getting 10 mpg i am getting half that the new dealer said that he will be surprised if he cant find something wrong. Hope he does. will let you know .

·
Registered
115 Posts
 Hey dobber, i have a 00/700 summit and i lived on a lake for two years and if i were to run it at 3/4 throttle or more for a good amount of time then turn it off it almost always did what u have mentioned. I never looked into it because it did not seem to harm the machines performance one bit. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Dobber i have a 02 800 gade as well. How much mileage do you have ? There are three 800 gades in our pack. First tank we only saw 80 kliks/tank.  It has improved with each tank to the point of almost matching my 01 800X mileage. I now have 1100 kliks as of today. Things will get better. MXZWFO has brough up a good point regarding the recall.  If things dont get better get it re-checked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Guys,

I posted a similar post regarding oil and gas consumption on my 02 800 Sport a few weeks ago.  I only had 380KM.  I am now up to 600 and overall the mpg's have improved as has the overall performance.  The chip has completed it's cycle.  I too have had a few back fires but so did my previous 99 FZ583 so I am not too worried.  Overall the performance has improved.  I am happier than I was.

I will bring it up this weekend when I take it in for the 10hr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts