Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying my first sled since I was a kid...

So far I've narrowed it down to a 1998 ZR600 with 3600 miles or a 1997 MXZ583 with 1300 miles. The MXZ is probably $200 more than the ZR, but it also has far less miles.

My question is.. what are the pro's and Con's to each sled?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The mxz is a good durable sled, with some cheap upgrades available. This is one of those engines they call bullet proof. I had alot of fun with mine

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Pros=
583 good on gas and super reliable
AWS is awesome

Cons
600 bad on gas and known for not being as reliable as the 583 but still not to bad
DSA is ok but is no AWS

I had/have both

I like the SC 10 from the 98 MXZ I had better than the ZR rear I have

The 583 power is more linear and slightly faster but the ZR has a spunky free revving midrange

If I had to chose it would be the MXZ between those 2

BUT if the ZR was an 01 then it would be ZR

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
any rotary valve rotax motor has a great reputation for being reliable. the 583 is infact a rotary valve and an easy choice between the two sleds for the better machine IMHO.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I never owned a cat so I can't say if it is good or bad. I can't see you going wrong with the mxz. The 583 is a bullet proof motor, good on gas & a clutch kit would only make it perfect :D One thing You might want to do if you get the mxz is a full service. 1300miles for a 11 year old sled is low, I would think the sled has been stored for awhile.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Don't think you can go wrong with Freezies advice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone..

I'm now an official snowmobile owner yet again, only about 25 years after my last one.

Well, the MXZ that was said to be in excellent condition was only in fair shape. Many cracks in hood and hole in belly. He was asking about $500 more than I was willing to offer in that condition..

The ZR600 was in great shape and I really liked it except on small problem. It wouldnt start.. He said the carbs needed to be cleaned, which he had to do last year. Also, the cluch assembly was missing a bolt, causing it to move back and forth. Not sure how long that had been going. I was really bummed to have to walk away from that sled....

So, back home I went and scoured craigslist again.. I spotted a 97 Formula Z with about 1500 miles on it.. A little out of my price range but I figured I'd call him. He said all the right stuff, so I went to check it out. It was in real good shape, only flaw that I noticed was a small crack by the windshield. So, I made him an offer and he took it.

Now to wait for snow! :christmas:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Congrats

the FZ 583 is basicaly the same as the MXZ save the shocks/seat/gas tank and the engine mounted higher to allow electric start

+ it is a purrty Purple

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
I glad to see you are back into snowmobiling. I always liked the Formula Z & found that got better every year. I had a 99 & loved it. I wish I never sold it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts