Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with crank bearings on their mxz 700? A freind of mine just bought a 2000 700, rode it 20km and it locked up the bottom end. Is this a common failure? And is there any suprises I need to watch out for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 highmark 700. At 1500 miles the bottom end seized up.The dealer rebuilt the bottom end under warrenty,and said it was due to a improper factory oil pump setting,which they corrected........600 miles later here I sit with another burned up bottom end....no warranty this time.This motor gets oil directly pumped from the oil pump to the main bearings.I dont know if the oil holes are too small or what.But I am not wasting my time or money on this engine again....Dropping in a 780 triple....700cc not enough horsepower for the hills in Washington.Anyone need a 700 twin with a bad lower end?
?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine lasted me 5800 miles before the crank bearings went bad

·
Registered
400 Posts
HoHo,

When you had the engine rebuilt - did they replace
the crank with the one with isoflex greased bearings
on both sides? That way you don't rely on oil for
lubrication for the MAG side. If not, I'd think you have
another claim - even if out of warranty.

Yes, the 2000's had a problem. No problems with mine
yet, but I wouldn't doubt it will happen in the future.
I took mine apart and was going to try and replace
the MAG bearings with the isoflex packed ones, but
couldn't do it without buying the updated crank. Too
much money. So I put it back together and turned up
the oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say you couldn't put the updated bearings in with the isoflex grease is there a differance in the crank itself? I was hoping that it was just a matter of getting the updated bearings and installing them on the original crank. If I have to put in the original bearings and rely on injector oil as lube I think I'll sell it as I have alredy rebuilt a 98 F111 700 twice under warranty and once on my dime and now this mxz 700 on my dime so maybe Polaris or Arctic cat are worth looking into.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I couldn't figure out how to use the same crank. My
dealer couldn't figure it out and he called ski-doo.

The update with both bearings in isoflex grease requires
you to buy the entire crank. I believe it was $1200
or $1500 or something like that. I wasn't going to pay
that - so I just put it back together.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, mine went out at 1080 miles, and the dealer put in the "700 kit" that comes from Ski-Doo.   The kit consists of a 2001 crank, crank bearings, isoflex grease, a tap screw, and a harmonic balancer on the mag side.   Ski-Doo picked up the bill, because I still had two weeks left on the warranty.  Try to get your dealer to run it through warranty.  Ski-Doo knows that they had a problem with some of there 700's.   I know 7 guys in my area alone that had the same problem.  Good luck.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
same thing happened to my 01 700 and my buddys 00 700. Mine went out at 3200k and his went at 3300k, and i know for at least a half dozen more around here that seized or destroyed crank bearings.  Not a good thing for doo!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
MAN you guys are scaring the #### out of me!! I got 9k on mine and never been apart!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts