Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was on my trip this weekend we noticed my buddies 02 700 sucks way more oil than my 00 700. We stayed in Ishpeming,MI. the first night, the next day we both topped off our oil and road up to Copper Harbor and then back down to Calumet which is a little north of Houghton. About 260 miles on the day-Sunday. Monday we woke up and had to ride back to Ishpeming were my truck was. We checked our oil at a gas sation in Houghton and he only had about 1/4 tank of oil left and I had about 2/3 still left, he added a quart and it brought him back to about were I was, 2/3. We rode about another 70-80 miles before we got gas again and he needed to buy another quart! he was down to 1/4 tank again and I was about half or a little more now. After adding 2 quarts he was still lower than me when we got back to Ishpeming.  Why?

The trip was great, It was some of the best riding I ever done, 550 miles total, Sat-Mon.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I also noticed this because my buddys 02 700 drinks oil big time while my 01 700 just sips it, but i dont know why. strange??

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I need to talk to Scott and see whatss up.I'll be at the show Thurs. night,talk to him then.
You guys really pounded on the miles,I'm jealous!
My internet carrier at home is down,don't know when it will work again.So if I'm not around,you know why.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There was a recall on 00 700's for low oil consumption,possible blown motor if you horse on it alot without getting it fixed.You should be usin about 1 quart per tank full of fuel.....

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Im using about a quart to a tank, but my buddys is using well over a quart to a tank, probably pushing 1.5 or more depending on how hard he rides.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Mine uses 1 Qt. per 8 gallons.Thats about 90 miles.My 00 MXZ 500 was real easy on oil,I mean real easy,like 3 tanks full and not quite 2 Qts.I,ve used up more oil in my 700 in 1000 miles than I used in 2 seasons and 3000 miles in my 500.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Steimy i just got back from my trip up north and we rode the exact same route that you did and the trails were still decent. We would still be up there but the one guy's 98 700 grand tour had the pto bearing lock up on him and i ended up paying the cat dealer in calumet 400$ for a new primary clutch but the trails were just awsome in copper harbor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is the 02 broke in yet?? If the computer hasnt advanced the timing yet it could affect how rich it runs etc. break in time is @10hrs or 400miles i dont remember wich  they are going by nowadays...but iguess its better to be safe then sorry(not enough oil would be worse!&#33

1 - 8 of 8 Posts