Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting either a 2000-2001 MXZ 700 or MXZ 800. Is there much difference between the two? Power? Gas mileage? Anything else? How about the x packages, what is the difference there?
Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Speaking as a mxz 700 owner, I would go with the 700. Ski-doo's 700 is a very strong motor. This is a very fast sled, and I know was fastest in class for 2000-2001. There is not alot of power difference between the 700 and 800, the 800 has a couple more miles top end of course. Now if you were talkin' 800 REV it would be a whole other story. X package adds beefier shocks if you are an agressive rider you might like that, handlebars are higher, Other guys can add more for me there.

Speaking honestly, If I would have bought a brand new sled last year, I would have bought another mxz 700, that is how pleased I am with my machine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The x package has some of these things the regular model does not. Dpm,
adjustable toe holds, racing type handlebars, remote resivior front shocks, c-46 rear shock, short brake lever, 1 inch track standered, low windshield.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by bluebyyou@Oct 18 2002, 10:16 PM
Looking at getting either a 2000-2001 MXZ 700 or MXZ 800. Is there much difference between the two? Power? Gas mileage? Anything else? How about the x packages, what is the difference there?
Thanks

:withstupid: I had the 2000 mxz 700 vary good sled had 15,000 miles on it never had a problem. But in saying that I would tell you to get the 2001 if you have that choice.Think it is a bit better yet. As far as the 700 & 800 go you dont give that much up to the 800. the 800 was a pig on gas. Had more carb and engine updates then you could shake a stick at.

X package. You get a much larger rear shock (C46) and better front shocks as well but this might not be good for you unless you are a vary hard rider. with The x package you will feel the smaller bumps more. You have to ask your self how do you ride. Hard some times and easy most other times. Dont get the X. If you ride hard most of the time I would go with the X.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There both great sleds but I would go with the eight. Panteraone and I rode with a guy with a 700 and he was harder on gas than our 800. My attitude is bigger is always better. (but not woman). I raced a few 700's and I was always faster from take off to finish. For reliability reason their the same I know people who have sevens and there engine went and I know one guy with a eight(panteraone :p ) whose engine went. But its your money so good luck on either choice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If i had to do it again i would go with mxzx700 for the simple fact that there is not much difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Originally posted by Go4it@Oct 18 2002, 06:49 PM
There both great sleds but I would go with the eight. Panteraone and I rode with a guy with a 700 and he was harder on gas than our 800. My attitude is bigger is always better. (but not woman). I raced a few 700's and I was always faster from take off to finish. For reliability reason their the same I know people who have sevens and there engine went and I know one guy with a eight(panteraone :p ) whose engine went. But its your money so good luck on either choice.
My attitude is bigger is always better. (but not woman)

ha ha go4it.......your not telling the truth :devil:

·
Registered
278 Posts
:hallo3: My attitude is bigger is always better. (but not woman).

:inlove: Cochrane home of the big woman :nervous: :blahblah:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have an 800, very little difference with the 700. Check out the insurance too. I would have bought a 700 but the dealer gave me the 800 $300 cheaper than the 700. Good Luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd have to say go with the 700 as well. I've got an 800 adrenaline and my brother has the 2000 700 spring order (basically an adrenaline). We ride together a lot and he beats me handsdown on gas milage - usually to the tune of 15 - 20%! As far as performance goes, he's got a 1.25" track compared to my 1" and I can't keep up with him when we drag in powder.

I take him on bare ice thanks to longer studs.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To Dayoopers,

I've audited a number of small insurance companies and most of them won't touch a performance sled (loosely defined as anything 600cc & over.

I went with State Farm for my MXZ800 Adrenaline

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Why do you think they quit building the 700?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would go with the 700. I own a 2002 MXZ 700 Adreneline and it is a great machine. In fact I ran few 800s last year when it was bone stock and not only was it quicker out of the hole, it pulled them on the top too! The 700 motor is very strong, very reliable, and pretty good on gas (I get 11mpg).
As far as which year, I would look for a 2002. The SC-10 III rear suspension is far superior to the SC-10 II and the precision skis are awesome. If you can get an adreneline or X model, it is worth it. DPM and RER are great, and once you have them you won't ever give them up again! The 2000s had round slide carbs and were quite a bit slower than the 2001s with the flat slides. In 2002, they went with heated carbs due to icing problems on the flat slides without the heat.

All in all, I would not even consider a 2000 or 2001 when there are great deals on 2002s. A friend of mine just picked up a 2002 MXZX 800 with a 1000 miles on it for $6000. He also traded a 98 formula 500 and got $3500 against the $6000 from a dealer. He wanted a 700, but for that deal, how could you not take it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts