Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1995 Yamaha v-max 600 this weekend, havnt been snowmobiling since 2000, when i had a 1994 v-max 500 (wich ran right with a friends piped '95 600). My sled has a 1996 Ski-doo skid from a mx-z 583 and i have to order a new shock for it, the one in it is pretty well worn out. Starts up first pull and runs smooth! Only has 3000 miles on it, in good shape except of course the normal scratches from use. Needs an exhaust gasket too, previous owner tore it when taking muffler off to change a leaking chaincase gasket. I payed $600 for it, so I think i got a pretty good deal.

here is a pic:

forgot I had a custom white balance on my camera, so the pic came out...kinda weird colored haha. I love the look of these old Vmax sleds...and i remember how my old 94 500 would literally FLOAT on top of the snow. I cant wait for snow to start falling now!

How hard is it to change the rear shock? Im guessing the whole rear skid has to be dropped out right? and if my findings are correct, this is the first model sc-10 suspension...should be way WAY better than what Yamaha had in it originally!

·
Registered
496 Posts
How hard is it to change the rear shock? Im guessing the whole rear skid has to be dropped out right? and if my findings are correct, this is the first model sc-10 suspension...should be way WAY better than what Yamaha had in it originally![/b][/quote]

Your right the 95 yamaha skid was bad but so is the 96 skidoo skid ! For the price of that shock you could buy a used skid . I just saw at the snow show a full plastic skid .
I dont remember who made it. It didnt look money !

Nice sled had the same one back then with twin pipes , USI skis, Hauk secondary, warm air kit for frozen carbs, lots of Vicodine for that crappy skid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right the 95 yamaha skid was bad but so is the 96 skidoo skid ! For the price of that shock you could buy a used skid . I just saw at the snow show a full plastic skid .
I dont remember who made it. It didnt look money !

Nice sled had the same one back then with twin pipes , USI skis, Hauk secondary, warm air kit for frozen carbs, lots of Vicodine for that crappy skid.[/b]
yes, most of the mid-90s skids are bad compared to todays, but im sure the one on it is much better than the Yamaha original...but I've never ridden anything better, been 7 years since I've been on a sled, so this suspension will probably feel better to me. Found a gas shock for about $80 shipped. I don't feel like finding another skid and then going through the hassle of fitting it when I can drop this one, replace shock, put bolts back in skid and off I go...time = money. I love wrenching...but why make more work than I NEED to?

I could have gotten away with a phazer, to be honest. I was introduced to snowmobiling by my grandfather on a 1972 Polaris colt 295 and a 1979 Polaris Apollo 340, I enjoy scenery more than blasting down a trail at 65. But I really missed my Vmax, something about the looks and feel I LOVED my '94. Hope to love the '95 as well!

I still cant wait for snow to fall :D

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Welcome to the club :) The Vmax is heavy...it really is a pig...otherwise it's a great sled. At least mine is. Extremely stable, fantastic handling, I think the power is very good for a 600 just make sure the clutching is right. I hated the stock skis, put on some used Skidoo Summit entry level plastic skis for very cheap. That took a little modding because that Vmax ski spindle is the widest ever. It can be cut down however, to accommodate a narrower ski saddle, and I can say from a hard year of riding that it won't hurt the durability of the spindle. There's really just an extra sleeve and bushing that can be cut down to fit. The idle is pretty smoky but I do run the oiler at 40:1. All my sleds are at 40:1 though, and the Vmax is the smokiest. Went a full year (straddling 2 seasons and 50 riding days) before I had to change spark plugs due to fouling, so I feel like the jetting must be pretty good. Yours may be better. The engagement is the lowest I've come across, but it's designed that way and it has a lot of torque down there. Really an amazingly wide power band for a piston ported engine. Yours will be even faster because it's a short track. I personally hate the stock lowrider seat although it is kinda cool how it rides like a chopper. I just don't ride that way. I did a DIY foam buildup and recover on mine and now it's just how I want it. I actually raised it twice, once with the original seat cover and gained about six inches (pictured), and that still wasn't tall enough so over the summer I had to put another six inches of stiff foam and new vinyl on top. Don't have a pic of that yet. Anyway good luck. The engines on these things are supposed to be super reliable. I've put the most miles on my Vmax of any other sled and has earned the badge of "most dependable" in my fleet. Never had to go home early on the Vmax. All of my other sleds have let me down at least once.

Oh yeah, be careful because it's way too easy to dent the shock towers.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed today the left side front shock seems to stick a lot. nothing looks out of shape on the outside. Any hints about fixing it? would just pumping the zerk full of grease help? right side is fine...Ill have to tear it apart maybe. Just gotta order the rear shock sometime and then get it installed :) Should get some new ski skins too...they look beat up a little.

more neat things ive overlooked/not mentioned: has a GYT single pipe, bender racing secondary clutch (maybe just parts?), original toolbox with looks to be all tools, and of course the guy i bought it from said the headlight was really blue...dont know if ill like it but being the cheap type I am, ill leave it in till she blows out :)

but please offer ideas on the front strut...My mechanical ability is good so ill be fixing myself. nothing looks bent either *shrugs*

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well you could take it apart and clean it . Its really just a sping shock so just riding it my loosen things up . you know when they are bent they wear the chrome off in the bend. Yamaha had the T.S.S kit for them to make them adjustable but it aint worth it .

Clean the carbs and beat the #### out of it. :thumbsup: Save your money for gas and oil .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha Yea I remember from my '94 vmax500 that these things sure take a lot of abuse (as in riding, NOT negligence).

Ill probably just take the left TSS apart and clean it up. I dont think its bent, it sure doesnt show signs of being bent. I mean theres a slight ding in the outer tss cup, but that shouldnt affect anything. My guess is there is 13 years of gunk in there or something...

ordered rear shock last night, shipped out today, but shipped UPS :sleeping: thats gonna take a week to get here...Oh well its no where near snow season yet :(

I wish i had never sold the 500 I had, but i think this 600 will make me smile just as much :) Now i gotta learn how to clean carbs, yay! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so i looked at the strut tower, took off the rubber boot....

one of the bolts holding the flange was broke. flange is a bit bent, and shock tower wiggles a bit. Im not sure if the internals are bent (actual strut) but the flange is, just a little bit. Im gonna take it off take it apart and see whats going on. I might need a new one though

Anyone have a spare left hand shock tower assembly from a 1995 v-max 600??? :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
nice sled

The SC 10 is much better then the 95 Vmax skid taht is a guaranty

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update...

Got the shock in this weekend. Getting the Skid out was a pain, until I hooked up a ratchet strap to compress the suspension a few inches, then it popped right out after a bit of wiggling over all the drive cogs. I couldnt get the tension bolts loose until i had the skid off, so that made it a bit trickier. Getting the skid back in was cake. literally took maybe 20 minutes including bolting things up. Rear end is much better now, actually has dampening now!!!!!

Now ive gotta get the front left shock tower off and straighten out the flange and hope the internals are ok, get a new muffler gasket, register, insure and wait for snow :( thats gonna be the hard part is the waiting for snow...lol

Im not in too much rush for snow because i want to get the problems fixed before snow arrives. I should get a new seat cover too but ill patch this one somehow for this winter!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, just picked a 94 600 up cheap, sounds like your deal- Kinda ugly paint but it has a M10 rear suspension and is piped for 600$. The front shocks need to come apart and im not sure how to get the can off. I popped the rubber off the left side and it has a stud and nuts coming through like a car strut and the right side theres nothing but a washer and spacer laying on top. Looking down inside theres no stud or even threads in there. Any idea how to dissasemble? Also i think it needs a little love in the clutch area. Wouldnt climb the ramp into the trailer. moves under its own power on level pavement. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, just picked a 94 600 up cheap, sounds like your deal- Kinda ugly paint but it has a M10 rear suspension and is piped for 600$. The front shocks need to come apart and im not sure how to get the can off. I popped the rubber off the left side and it has a stud and nuts coming through like a car strut and the right side theres nothing but a washer and spacer laying on top. Looking down inside theres no stud or even threads in there. Any idea how to dissasemble? Also i think it needs a little love in the clutch area. Wouldnt climb the ramp into the trailer. moves under its own power on level pavement. Any ideas? Thanks guys![/b]
Kimpex makes the strut you need for the front TSS the Part #08-160 you get get them online ranging from $69.00 to $120.00.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, just picked a 94 600 up cheap, sounds like your deal- Kinda ugly paint but it has a M10 rear suspension and is piped for 600$. The front shocks need to come apart and im not sure how to get the can off. I popped the rubber off the left side and it has a stud and nuts coming through like a car strut and the right side theres nothing but a washer and spacer laying on top. Looking down inside theres no stud or even threads in there. Any idea how to dissasemble? Also i think it needs a little love in the clutch area. Wouldnt climb the ramp into the trailer. moves under its own power on level pavement. Any ideas? Thanks guys![/b]
take off the other rubber boot thats around the middle of the shock (bottom of tower) there are 4 bolts that bolt the strut tower to the frame of the sled, you are going to need to remove the panel around there as well, i think it has 4 bolts and then should come off. I havnt done it yet but im going to...sometime...

anyone know a safe way to get the front end off the ground? the front bumper doesnt look beefy enough to hold the weight...??? I dont want to tip on side.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just tip it on its side it will be fine just put the cover down and lay it on it first and shut off the gas !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is that shock can spring loaded? And i just know all four bolts are going to snap.. been soaking in PB blaster for a week and still wont budge. Stupid salt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, got the shock can off. Only snapped 2 of 4 bolts. Woohoo! Any clue how the strut itself actually comes out? Sparky 302 are you sure thats the right part# for the struts? Just want to make sure before i order two. The strut seems totally frozen, par for the course. Just want to get this thing safe before snow flies, thanks again guys!

Also sorry for the thread hijack

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, got the shock can off. Only snapped 2 of 4 bolts. Woohoo! Any clue how the strut itself actually comes out? Sparky 302 are you sure thats the right part# for the struts? Just want to make sure before i order two. The strut seems totally frozen, par for the course. Just want to get this thing safe before snow flies, thanks again guys!
Also sorry for the thread hijack[/b]
i think he has the wrong part, the ones he listed are for Phazer and exciter and the OLD vmax 540's. (80's models).

go to yamaha's site look in the snowmobile section and there should be a parts link somewhere...you can find all sorts of views of different parts/part numbers, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i think he has the wrong part, the ones he listed are for Phazer and exciter and the OLD vmax 540's. (80's models).

go to yamaha's site look in the snowmobile section and there should be a parts link somewhere...you can find all sorts of views of different parts/part numbers, etc.[/b]
http://www.alssnowmobile.com/default.aspx

Thats the site i got the Part# for your shock its a kimpex gold series the same one that goes on my 1993 exciter sx yamaha.Dealer where i live wants $320.00 for original oem

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Be aware that the mileage/range on the "pogo stick" Yammis isn't the greatest.

A buddy had a '94 & a '96 600 it had the least amount of range of the sleds in the group. During a trip around Algonquin Park in Ontario he ran out of gas before we had gone 90 miles 1 day. Temp was -40* & we weren't going faster than the 50 klick speed limit (too cold to go any faster).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts