Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my sled is slow. I bought it used this spring before the snow melted so I did get to drive it before summer. When I floor it in the low mph range the throttle response is slow. I takes a few seconds to get the clutch(?) to engage, it makes a clunking sound and takes off. I'm not sure what it is but i would like to get it fixed. Its a pain when Im jumping and I cant get the power in time for the jump. Maybe a new clutch would fix this.

Also, what kind of first mods do you think I should do(i.e. clutch kit, pipe, airfilter).

And lastly, I dont know if this is normal or not but I think I am getting really bad gas mileage. My previous snowmobile was a '99 Z370 and I could go 100+ miles on a tank with that. I think with this one I am getting around 60-70 tops. I dont know if this is normal or not, it just seems to eat a lot of gas.

Thanks in advance,
mozy

'99 ZRT 600

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like it might have sticking, or something broken in one of the clutches, take it to a mechanic if you are not sure what to do, or if you do not have a clutch puller etc...

The mileage sounds a little steep to me, but it may be caused by the "clutch" problem you might be having, or whatever is wrong. The Z370's I have seen get 15-20mpg, and your new ride will not be so friendly on the gas budget, but I would think with good tuning, and all mechanical components working right 90-120 miles per tank would be more along the lines of its capabilities.....what does anyone else get for mileage with the same sled??

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Check for a broken primary spring(the front clutch).  
Some good first mods are, clutch kit, and reeds.  There is also allot of performance to be gained by simply jetting to conditions and keeping things clean(ie clutches and carbs). Also make sure your carbs are tuned properly-in sync(will help performance and MPG).  A new belt will also help performance.  I like the Dayco Ultimax2 and Bates for the zerts.
As for the mileage, there is no way the 600 tripp will compare to your old 370, but these aren't known for great mileage anyway.  I usualy get about 6-8 mpg, but I have a heavy thumb.LOL I know guys that get over 10mpg regularly though with their tripps....
There are endless other things you can do, but that should give you a good place to start.

Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have seen first hand everything you are talking about on a 99 ZRT 800.  Look at the recall section and check with your dealer.  I sounds like your sled has not had the updates on it.  The 800 we had could be beat by my ZRT 600 up to 100 mph.  It was pathetic.  He had to change the plugs like every 50 miles.  It ran sooooo rich and he got terrible gas mileage.  He took it to the dealer no less then 6 times for checkups, end it wasn't until close to the end of the season that AC figured out the soulution and sent out a bullitin.  It was too late for his sled, under AC's direction, our dealer gutted the air box, and leaned the thing way out.  He ended up putting a hole in the piston on a cold Canadian morning.  Good thing we took an extra sled with us on the trip.  Anyhow, we finally switched dealers only to find out from him and AC that the previous dealer charged AC for the recall work and parts but he didn't do it all.  He never touched the clutches!  Anyhow we go to a new dealer now that is much better.

Sorry for the long post, but the short of it is check into the recall, they had major problems with the sleds from the factory.  The recall is supposed to fix everything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 99 ZRT 600.  Out of the box jetting was a "little" fat and while clutched fine for shift rpm, it was kinda soft on the bottom. I've ridden a little AC 3x3 since 96 and the motor never really liked to do ANYTHING under 6000rpm. I won't even let the motor engage under 5000rpm ( 5200-5300). The motor came in around 4500rpm stock..and would drop below 6000rpm on low speed cruising upshits..it makes the motor sluggish..kinda bogs if you will. In this case it seems like you've got something more severe going on.....I'd buy into the theory of broken or severely worn parts..and broken parts on something spinning at 8500rpm is...BAD!! How many miles on this sled? Do you remember what the tach said at full throttle? Where does the belt sit in the secondary? Any black streaks on either of the clutches? Are the clutches black with belt dust?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mozy,

You don't really give enough info to troubleshoot your problem. To do it right you should check all the "normal" maintenance items first. thigs like the following:
- how do the plugs look?
- how do the piston tops look?
- any "hard starting" problems
- How does the belt width compare to a new belt
- what is the belt deflection
- Are the clutch aligned
- how much gap between your belt and clutch sidewall
- what condition are the wieghts/rollers in the clutch
- do the bushings need replacing in the clutch weights
- is the secondary in good shape?
- what is the compression?
- is engagement rpm consistant?

checking all these things will help pin-point is the problem is with the motor or the power train.

As for the "clunking" sound, it sounds to me like you have excessive backlash in your chain case. These chains need to be adjusted on a regular interval. It sould be set that when you turn your secondary there is no more than 1/8 turn of "free play" before the track starts to move.

If this is the problem, then I would guess that the previous owner did zero maintenance on the sled and know it probably has 6 or 7 small little problems that will all contribute to loss of power.

Let us know more about these simple inspections

thanks

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Check you main jets also.  If it is stock it will be set very rich.  I ride at 0-2000 elev. and ran 330-340 mains in mine when it was stock and that was safe for most any temp that I rode in.  Jetting down will help your mileage out and will get rid of some "bogging" and extend your plug life.
Checking the things madsledhead listed is the BEST thing you can do to trouble shoot your problem(s).  Chances are you will find the problem when going through that little inspection.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds to me like the same things my friend and i have experienced when the front clutch breaks.  On our two sleds the stationary sleeve broke.  If this is the case and your not real experienced with this kinda stuff I would take it to a good dealer.  I stress good cause when mine broke it was under warrenty so I brought it back to the dealer and in the process of trying to get the clutch off they wrecked the threads in the crankshaft and had to replace that.  Needless to say I've never been back there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another thing you could try...is putting it on a track stand and with an open hood and belt guard run the motor and see if you can pin point the clunking or look for something not working right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts