Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the garage to take the sled out for a ride yesterday and when I was filling the oil I noticed that there was no coolant in the coolant tank. There was some coolant on the floor under the machine (about 1/3 of a qt.). Last week I had ridden it and the coolant tank was full. I checked all hoses and connections that I could possibly see and feel, but could not locate the leak. Any advice appreciated.

I am fearing the worst (lower seal gone bad).

Please say it isn't so.

Thanks for any replies
Polaris Fan

·
Registered
476 Posts
A. Double and triple check all hoses and clamps. B. Flip the sled over on it's side, and check the heat exchangers for rock and or stud damage, especially the one in the front center of the tunnel. C. Nothing yet, uh-oh, could be a head gasket ( not likely if you had a puddle on the floor) base gasket, or ( I hope you had a good 50/50 mix in the sled, if not , bad things happen with the below 0 temps recently, at least in the midwest) you could have a crack in the block or cylinder somewhere, not good. You can always filler up with a 50/50 antifreeze mix, and see where it comes out. :lookaround: Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went out to the garage to take the sled out for a ride yesterday and when I was filling the oil I noticed that there was no coolant in the coolant tank. There was some coolant on the floor under the machine (about 1/3 of a qt.). Last week I had ridden it and the coolant tank was full. I checked all hoses and connections that I could possibly see and feel, but could not locate the leak. Any advice appreciated.

Please say it isn't so.

Thanks for any replies
Polaris Fan[/b]

·
Registered
25 Posts

Please say it isn't so.

Thanks for any replies
Polaris Fan[/b]
If you are having very cold weather clamps and head coolant gaskets will leak on there own. It happened to me head cover oring leak in very cold weather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd think if you put more coolant in and ran it you might find the leak or when you shut it off and watch closely for the next day. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the o-ring on the water pump coming out of the block. It was a very easy fix. All I had to do was take off the recoil and water pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled off my exhaust and found the water pump leaking. There is a small hole in the metal water pump casing. The hole is doing a slow drip and it seems like there should be some sort of check valve or stop in it. My friend was telling me about valves on certain cooling system components that are supposed to pop out when it gets really cold and allow the coolant to leak out preventing the engine and cooling system components from cracking. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?? I hope this is a simple fix. I really don't want to buy a whole new water pump :(

I'm going to the dealer today, hopefully they know whats up.

Thanks for the replies
Polaris Fan

·
Registered
593 Posts
I pulled off my exhaust and found the water pump leaking. There is a small hole in the metal water pump casing. The hole is doing a slow drip and it seems like there should be some sort of check valve or stop in it. My friend was telling me about valves on certain cooling system components that are supposed to pop out when it gets really cold and allow the coolant to leak out preventing the engine and cooling system components from cracking. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?? I hope this is a simple fix. I really don't want to buy a whole new water pump :(

I'm going to the dealer today, hopefully they know whats up.

Thanks for the replies
Polaris Fan[/b]
Thats the check whole if its the same as the older fuji pumps, the seal is gone in the pump. They can be rebuilt but i dont think polaris sells a seal for them, when they did mine on my indy 500 they had to use a honda? seal i think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts