65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK NEW LIST REQUIREMENTS!!!!!

4Stroke
2Seater
Electric start(usually standard)
Reverse(almost on all sleds)
Racks(fuel, storage,etc)

Some what fast when I am riding solo on lakes.....

When did 4strokes start in snowmobile world????

I find them to be more reliable, easier to maintain(i like oil changes), lower engine temps.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
You've got three options.
THe Polaris touring. At 140 hp it will be the top performer, and also has the most comfortable chassis. It's had a few teething problems it's first two years out, but supposedly they've been worked out.
However, your comment about lower engine temps do not apply here. The turbo gets downright HOT.
Next you have the Yamaha Venture. 120hp, very reliable. The motor is what sells this sled, as it's chassis is very old school.
Finally you have the Arctic Cat TZ-1. Nice sled, decent chassis.

For performance and comfort I'd rate them
1.Polaris
2.A-C
3. Yamaha

For reliability and maintainence, I'd reverse the order.

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK NEW LIST REQUIREMENTS!!!!!

4Stroke
2Seater
Electric start(usually standard)
Reverse(almost on all sleds)
Racks(fuel, storage,etc)

Some what fast when I am riding solo on lakes.....

When did 4strokes start in snowmobile world????

I find them to be more reliable, easier to maintain(i like oil changes), lower engine temps.[/b]

your Options are
artic cat Panther
Arctic Cat T Z1
Arctic Cat T Z1 LXR
Polaris IQ Cruiser Base
Polaris IQ Touring FS
Polaris IQ Touring FST
Ski-Doo Expedition Sport
Ski-Doo Expedition TUV
Yamaha RS Venture
Yamaha RS Venture GT
Yamaha Venture Lite

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your Options are
artic cat Panther
Arctic Cat T Z1
Arctic Cat T Z1 LXR
Polaris IQ Cruiser Base
Polaris IQ Touring FS
Polaris IQ Touring FST
Ski-Doo Expedition Sport
Ski-Doo Expedition TUV
Yamaha RS Venture
Yamaha RS Venture GT
Yamaha Venture Lite
[/b]

These all seem to be new machines... I am looking for something used of a $4000 budget. How reliable is a 2 stroke compared to a 4?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These all seem to be new machines... I am looking for something used of a $4000 budget. How reliable is a 2 stroke compared to a 4?[/b]

Opps and!!!

What is considered high mileage on say a 600cc motor?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ski-Doo Legend GT V-1000, it's not a crouch rocket, but it will do up to 90 mph and still get 20+ mpg on the trails. I just sold one at White Star Auction last month for $3,400 with almost 6k on it.
The only reason that I sold it is because I bought 2 new sleds last season.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Used

Yamaha Venture or Cat T660 or V1000 Doo

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
If you want used I'd go with the Two stroke. Your choices in a cheap four stroke are too limited.
The Ski-Doo V-1000 will bore you to death.
The A-C Turbo 660 will be fun on the lakes, and nicely groomed trails. Just stay away from the moguls.
Same goes for the RX-1. Nice sled, until you drive anything from this century. The motor might be nice, but the chassis feels ancient.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For comfort I'd go with the Arctic Cat. I had the 2002 AC touring and it was like a LazyBoy on skis. With the non-turbo 660 I'd put on over 200 miles to a tank of fuel (and I'm a big guy). For performance it had great pull up to about 45 mph and then levelled off. I traded to a AC 660 Turbo ST for better performance but the comfort of the 2-up sled isn't there. The guys I know with the AC 2-up turbo really like them and put a lot of miles on them.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
These all seem to be new machines... I am looking for something used of a $4000 budget. How reliable is a 2 stroke compared to a 4?[/b]
Didn't the RX 1 come out in '03?

I don't think the 4 strokes out there are old enough to have come down to that price level.

The reliability of a sled can depend on how a person maintains it. Some people do nothing other than add gas & oil to their sled & wonder why they have problems.

Even w/ a 4 stroke you have electrical, steering & suspension systems to be concerned w/ as well.

I'm wondering if some people are thinking that because all you do w/ a 4 stroke sled is an oil & filter change that a 4 stroke sled is a low or no maintenance sled? The rest of the sled is constructed like a 2 stroke sled so bearings have to be greased, tracks checked, bolts kept tight, etc.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If you want used I'd go with the Two stroke. Your choices in a cheap four stroke are too limited.

Same goes for the RX-1. Nice sled, until you drive anything from this century. The motor might be nice, but the chassis feels ancient.[/b]
I agree w/ NB on these points. I rode a 1st year RX1 & the suspension on my '04 Legend (ZX chassis) felt better & this was on a groomed trail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts