Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently aquired a yamaha excel III. battery is gone. exhaust manifold is severly patched together. the engine runs so so it wont idle at all just dies. probably just needs a good tuneup. ive figured out that it has a 340 engine. the cowl hood is completely trashed. the bottom looks like it hit a pretty sturdy stump. the skis are bent a little on the loops on top. track is in good shape.

i have a few questions as ive never worked on a snowmobile before. i do have mechanical know how.
how do i figure out what year it is? the forward clutch wont engage the belt, is there a way to check the clutch to know if it is bad? can it be rebuilt? if not i found a used one on ebay for $100.

i think thats all i have for right now. thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hve you tapped on the clutch with a hammer? After mine sat for 5 years the clutch wouldnt engage. So i tapped on it and finnaly it moved. Just make sure the engine is off when doing this. Get a picture of the snowmobile. That would be great help in identifying the year and other info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hve you tapped on the clutch with a hammer? After mine sat for 5 years the clutch wouldnt engage. So i tapped on it and finnaly it moved. Just make sure the engine is off when doing this. Get a picture of the snowmobile. That would be great help in identifying the year and other info.[/b]
well a few light hits with a hammer took care of the clutch for a second or two im gonna go and buy a puller and take a look at what i can. thank you for the idea.
here is a few pictures of her.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Looks to be early 80's or late 70's. Other than that i have no info on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts