Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ive been thinkin about gettin back on snow everday since april and i need some new parts on my phazer including a track
its a 121 and i like aggressive trail riding alot but would like to tackle the powder too without gettin stuck.
i tore my track up on the outside edges a good bit last year from slidin around turns
any suggestions on a certain track or style that would give me what i want?
what length lug could i handle 1 1\2??

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
could handle 1.5 you would have to gear down and lose lots of top end

stock on your sled is 0.725

get a 1" or 1.25"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could handle 1.5 you would have to gear down and lose lots of top end

stock on your sled is 0.725

get a 1" or 1.25"[/b]

what kinda lug pattern or style do ya think i should go with?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
depends what you like

all around performance Hawksaw 1" or Ripsaw 1.25"

Predator is you want more deep snow performance 1" and 1.25"

best bang for the buck IMO Ultimate Traxtion 1"

I got a Ripsaw 1.25 I love it,yet other do not like it and prefer the Predator

I got the hp for the 1.25 that it does not affect my top end that much

I would not go lower than 1" on any sled these days but that is my feeling

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats the story with some tracks being having every third window closed and every second one clipped and stuff like that? my track now had every window open and clipped does that mean i should get another track like that?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I would not worry

but that is me

some prefer all clipped some like every 3rd clipped

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you ever considered a slide rail extention kit to make it a 136"? They're easy to assemble, and that would definately make attacking the powder easier. Just took a setup like that off a 1991 Phazer II and put in on my buddy's 82 SRV540. Here's a pic of the extentions..... you can see (I think) how the rear "axle" gets removed, and the extentions just bolt onto the rails. Then the rear axle and track tentioning setup goes back on the back of the extentions.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
That is going to be a nice SRV

I looved my SRv off trail I could just imagine it with a 136 :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever considered a slide rail extention kit to make it a 136"? They're easy to assemble, and that would definately make attacking the powder easier. Just took a setup like that off a 1991 Phazer II and put in on my buddy's 82 SRV540. Here's a pic of the extentions..... you can see (I think) how the rear "axle" gets removed, and the extentions just bolt onto the rails. Then the rear axle and track tentioning setup goes back on the back of the extentions.[/b]
YES i have been very interested it an extension but really i couldnt find out much about them.
for starters where to find them.
are they hard to install?
how much would it affect my trail riding? i do alot of fast riding on real narrow trails. would it be harder to corner?
if this was affordable and easy to come by i would really like to get that setup before i go buying a new 121 track
i know that phazer would do well with that extra track for sure

·
Registered
496 Posts
Can you put a track lug bigger than a 1.00 on that phazer? I would check before buying one. I know its fan cooled but will it rub on the front ? Since you are going to put on a new track try to find a newer skid from like a wrecked sxr 00 and up or 96 vmax pro action would be ok.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also a track with some of its windows not punched out is help prolong slide wear. The idea is to hold more snow or water on the inside of the track against the slide . Does it work ? Maybe . Ive had both and had to change slides the same. Some say weight savings but I cant tell .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Also a track with some of its windows not punched out is help prolong slide wear. The idea is to hold more snow or water on the inside of the track against the slide . Does it work ? Maybe . Ive had both and had to change slides the same. Some say weight savings but I cant tell .[/b]
I would guess it is merely a way for manufacturers to cut costs.

I would definately go for the idea of stretching it out with the rail extensions to a 136" track for more off trail use, however I wouldn't recommend a lug taller than 1 inch. That would be too much track to turn for an 80 hp sled. As for the tight trails, if you set up your sled right, there shouldn't be a problem, maybe even get some more aggressive carbides.

There are quite a few companies making those extensions and some even sell them as a package with the track included. Just do a search online. RoyalDistributing is a great place for online shopping for Canadians, but they don't have the rail extensions in their catalogue though. Careful shopping online in the States, while our dollar is close to par now, shipping, duties and the sneaky brokerage fees will shock the heck out of you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would guess it is merely a way for manufacturers to cut costs.

I would definately go for the idea of stretching it out with the rail extensions to a 136" track for more off trail use, however I wouldn't recommend a lug taller than 1 inch. That would be too much track to turn for an 80 hp sled. As for the tight trails, if you set up your sled right, there shouldn't be a problem, maybe even get some more aggressive carbides.

There are quite a few companies making those extensions and some even sell them as a package with the track included. Just do a search online. RoyalDistributing is a great place for online shopping for Canadians, but they don't have the rail extensions in their catalogue though. Careful shopping online in the States, while our dollar is close to par now, shipping, duties and the sneaky brokerage fees will shock the heck out of you.[/b]

im having a REAL hard time tryin to find the extensions.......

i was told i could handle a 1 1/4 lug... i think... i cant remember ill hafta look.. maybe even 1 1/2 but bumpin up track length and having a 1 1/2 lug would be alot for a 485 fan to turn.....plus im 275 pounds already sooooo it would be working pretty hard to get me threw that powder..

i have a pretty aggressive carbide. i slide around alot on the turns when the snow is packed hard. i really got used to the way my sled corners like that and i dont want to lose that with a longer track but i think it will still do what i want. id rather trade that off for better off trail. but the thing im scared of tearin the outside lugs off my new track. i tore a alot on my old one but it was old and soft so a new one might hold up i guess

·
Registered
496 Posts
How did you lose your lugs ? Do you have studs on the outside band ? I wouldnt bother with 136 extentions . I would find a newer skid, plastic skis and a 121" 1" lug track and youll be happy .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you lose your lugs ? Do you have studs on the outside band ? I wouldnt bother with 136 extentions . I would find a newer skid, plastic skis and a 121" 1" lug track and youll be happy .[/b]

my track was pretty soft and i was slidin around alot of turns and doin that all winter tore alot of them off. the track isnt studed..just not track friendly riding since i knew i was goin for a new one.

i want the extentiion because i am heavy and just want more of a footprint in the soft stuff. i know the phazer will do well wiht that extra track.

when you say i shoudl find a newer skid, do you mean one with a better suspension?

·
Registered
496 Posts
yes . a better suspension . Those pogos sleds were stiff . I had a 95 vmax and i think it stated 9" travel it was more like 3" . I upgraded shocks but it still wasnt much better . You being a big guy I figure since you got to change the track good time to get yourself too a swap meet and pick up a skid. oh and some plastic skis.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes . a better suspension . Those pogos sleds were stiff . I had a 95 vmax and i think it stated 9" travel it was more like 3" . I upgraded shocks but it still wasnt much better . You being a big guy I figure since you got to change the track good time to get yourself too a swap meet and pick up a skid. oh and some plastic skis.[/b]
yeah my pogo shocks are defintly toast i was thinkin about replacin them but not this year i have too much money to spend alraedy and it doesnt seem like they are harming my ride too badly. i do have to replace the farthest back shock. its so soft that my light friends cant drive my machine cuz they bounce and fly everywheres cuz they dont keep the shock compressed nearly all the way the whole time like i do
im gonna put an adjustable shock in maybe if its in the budget

yah really seem to think i need those plastic skis lol what advantages do they have? ive had people with plastic skis tell me they like my huge stock ones best

·
Registered
496 Posts
Plastic skis for a pogo ,alot . They help for handing and added flex that the pogo front end doesnt offer. I remember coming throught corners on one ski alot after I put on some USI skis
it cut some because of the keel design. The flex in the ski adds alittle more give then the one angle of the pogo. As for the skid if you ride like it sounds you would benefit from some more travel . With the fact swapmeets have alot of opions out there for cheap its worth alook.

I got last year a 93 exciter II with 1100 miles for $400 . Alot of the parts were in a milk crate but with $10.00 wore of hose it was flying down the trail that winter. Besides a crack in the tubing on the seat it looks new. We had some Arctic cat Fcat skis and threw those on and it made aworld of diff. The guy didnt know what was wrong and had just threw parts at it from pumps to all new electrical parts . It was a bad impulse line to the fuel pump. We gave it to friend so he could ride . I wish a took some pics. So theres always hope to find what you need cheap.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The Phazer Mountain Light had 1.25 x 136 STOCK same chassis as yours

If I am not mistaken the 99-01 Proaction versions had 1.5 x 136 but that is not the same chassis
as for extensions go to Roayl distributing or any dealer that sells Gamma

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Can you put a track lug bigger than a 1.00 on that phazer? I would check before buying one. I know its fan cooled but will it rub on the front ? Since you are going to put on a new track try to find a newer skid from like a wrecked sxr 00 and up or 96 vmax pro action would be ok.[/b]
those are no good in deep snow

might as well get SC 10/Cat or Edge suspension instead and put into the Phazer

But then again with high suspension and a 36inch stance is not a good combo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts