Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i could use an opinion or two. i lost coolant (wire loose on temp sensor) and melted a piston. will replace with new pistons rings etc... and a repaired cyl head. my question is do i need to split the crank case and clean out any shavings or simply blow it out as best i can and go from there?   any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You probably should in theory but, most people if they only melt as opposed to  bearings coming apart, dont. I think from  what you said there wasnt alot  of loose matter so I`m basing my comments on that, every blow up is a little different. Do you have the motor out or  just planning on dooing the top end in the sled?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Most cases have drain plugs on them near the bottom you can take them out and flush the case out with some kind of cleaning solvent since this will also clean the bearings and make them dry I would suggest running premix along with the injection to make sure you are getting oil to the bottom end right away.But yes I recomend flushing it out because any debris in the case will get into the bearings and possibly gall them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts