Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the engine back together and put in the sled (1979 Skidoo Everest 440E.) When I get it started the engine backfires about every 5 seconds when cold, and of course there is no power to make the sled move. I know that the timing is off based on the overhaul, but I can't seem to get it dialed in. I put new condensers and points on during the overhaul.

According to the book, I should adjust the timing plate until the magneto side points just open when the timing marks align. Based on my serial number of engine I have to have the centrifugal advance fully open.

After the magneto side is dialed I am to adjust the points gap on the PTO side until it is dialed in. The spec on the gap is .014 to .018 inches.

I am using a continuity checker beep to tell me when the points open. Is this an ok approach or should I be using something like a lighted circuit tester?

The problem is I can move the timing plate about half of its rotating distance and I cannot see any change with the timing alignment. Is there a better approach to attempt to get this thing to run? Also does anyone have any pointers to tell which cylinder may be out of time when it is running?

·
Registered
1 Posts
there should be a stamp on the back plate where your points r. that mark should aling with another mark sort of hard to explain but when u see it u will know what im sort of talking bout. it took me 3 times b4 i got the timing right and that plate is so so so fussy move it a milimeter and you r off and get into many problems such as back fireing and overheating good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I read the Clymer manual from cover to cover and found 2 pieces of data that may help me out. First, is an illustration of a timing plate mark for initial timing. It was found in the section on magneto removal in chapter 4 page 66, rather that in chapter 2 page 26, where the directions are for setting the timing.

The second piece of data has to do with the timing advance weight. The manual says to push the arm in the fully advanced position...toward the the magneto rim. The picture shows the arm situated in the middle of the opening in the flywheel. Is this the fully advanced position? I can move the arm out so that it is entirely out of the flywheel opening. I guess that is about 5-10 degrees further advanced than the position in the manual's picture. Can someone let me know what the fully advanced position is for this lever?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
As, i see, i guess that u have a rotary valve plate for you intake. Do you have your timing plate on the right degree. It happend to me once and it backfired alot because the plate was advanced 90 degrees from where is was suppposed to be. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts