Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ZR700 that I did some clutching to last year on the advice of another ZR700 owner. It improved the overall performance drastically, along with the fuel economy, but somehow I acquired a minor belt slippage problem.

Here's the configuration:

Primary spring - HPE blue/black
Weights - Polaris 10-58
Helix - 55/53
Secondary spring - stock (yellow)

Does anybody know why my belt might be slipping on takeoff? On AmSnow, somebody told me to get a stiffer secondary spring. If I do that, what would be the side-effect? What spring would be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If I were you I would try moving the secondary spring into the next hole to make the tension tighter. I would first make sure your clutches are aligned properly. If tightening the secondary doesn't work, I would try the Red/White AC spring. Start with that in the second hole and work up to the 4th. Keep an eye on your Peak RPMs as tightening the secondary will increase that. I had a problem with my old 700 squealing the belt off the start. The clutches were out of alignment causing the belt to be to tight. Deffinately check that first. Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, if I move the secondary spring to the second hole and my peak RPMs increase too much, what do I have to do to counteract that?

Thanks for your help so far. At least I have something else to go on.

·
Registered
533 Posts
That shouldn't increase your RPM's, that is controlled by your primary (combination of the spring tension and weights). If anything your belt slipage will disappear and your backshifting will increase (slowing down when you let off the throttle)

newf

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give it a try, thanks very much!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Try all the above and keep good notes !!!
When you tighten the secondary spring your RPM will rise. How much? Every sled is different.
If you check the align and it's OK and you like every thing about your clutch kit now but it slips some times on hard holeshots. Then you can get a secondary spring with more side pressure. It won't change your RPM because the rate is the same. It will squeeze the belt harder to take away the slip. Or, you can use a helix shim kit. That way you would have less helix on your holeshot.
Try it all just take good notes, Chris

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My biggest problem is that I wrench at home in the garage and ride quite a ways from home (usually an hour and half drive at least). The last thing I want to do is end up with an unrideable setup and ruin a weekend of sledding. I am trying to minimize my experimentation :)

How do I determine which secondary spring which give me more side pressure? Everything is perfect with the current setup with the exception of low speed take-offs.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, and find a belt and brand that your sled likes and stick with it.
Different belts (hard, soft and brands) can change your clutch setup... rise or drop rpm, slip..

HPE red (#200-993) driven spring $18.00
Same spring rate and wire diameter as the stock yellow,
just taller for more side pressure.

If you find a good way to minimize experimentation..
Let me know :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Auggie@Nov 29 2002, 11:50 PM
Well, all those suggestions are good one's but don't forget about the drive belt. Try a new one.
Actually, the problem only started occurring with a new drive belt.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, and find a belt and brand that your sled likes and stick with it.
Dayco Ultimax II has worked very well for me so far. I cannot justify spending extra for an OEM belt.

HPE red (#200-993) driven spring $18.00
Same spring rate and wire diameter as the stock yellow,
just taller for more side pressure.
Perfect! If that's what I need, then I will give it a try.

If you find a good way to minimize experimentation..
Let me know  :)
I probably would've been able to eliminate all of this problem if I bought an off the shelf clutch kit, but I am frugal :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Also check the belt deflection if its too much its like starting off in second gear which with a 700 will cause slippage untill the flyweight pressure over comes spring (rpms) it should be around 1.25 inches with the belt all the way out on the secondary (low gear) hope this helps it sucks not having a test area near by :D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I measure belt deflection? Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, lay a streight edge on top of the drivebelt between the two cl's. Holding the streight edge in one hand and a 6" metal ruler in the other hand push down on the ruler as hard as you can. Make sure that the ruler is in the middle of the two cl's. Line up the markings on the ruler along the streaight edge and take a reading.

Auggie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts