Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I was riding my 98 mach z today and it was running great but then all the sudden it was like I hit the kill switch it just quit .... I investigated a little but I dont Know much about electrical.. I have no spark at all. now it would'nt be the regulator because it has nothing to do with the spark so next I was thinking stator but when I pull it over the head light still glows but very faintly, could it be the cdi box??? the d.e.s.s. the kill switch, any Ideas?
?  how can a guy test some of these things?

·
Registered
546 Posts
i would still test the stator. my 2000 mach had the same problem.
the stator left me sitting. there was a little spark in the plugs and a small flicker of light from the head and tail light.
took it in to the dealer and they replaced the stator. it ran great this season.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Based on the numerous past posts on this problem it most likely is the stator like ski-dood mentioned or most likely the harness under the engine has rubbed through to bare wire and is causing your problem.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but would It just quit like that, and Is there a test I could do to make sure It could still be the C.D.I box to could it not?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
When the stator in my 99 mach died. It was just like someone hit the kill switch.  Had to get towed for 50 miles by a summit , not nice.   The stator is worth big bucks if it is out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thats the way with most eletrical problems,they give you little or no warning.A broken wire or open circuit is the same as turning a switch off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Based on the numerous past posts on this problem it most likely is the stator like ski-dood mentioned or most likely the harness under the engine has rubbed through to bare wire and is causing your problem.Hope this helps. ;)[/b]
How common is it for that harness to rub through? same thing just happened to mine last night.
Its only got 2700 miles it. just like hitting the kill switch at 105. no spark. my mach would run when it was cool but the minute it would warm up, died and stayed that way till it cooled back down that ended up being the cdi box.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
How common is it for that harness to rub through? same thing just happened to mine last night.
Its only got 2700 miles it. just like hitting the kill switch at 105. no spark. my mach would run when it was cool but the minute it would warm up, died and stayed that way till it cooled back down that ended up being the cdi box.[/b]
all too common.

·
Registered
97 Posts
All to common is right!!!

I just got done fixing my buddies 98 mach 1 700... The stator plate backed out and the flywheel ate the stator wire.

Every bike or sled that has no battery is a 3-phase ac system. So the stator has 1 phase for high voltage/low current intended for a hot spark to the coil.

Then your other 2 phases are high current/low voltage intended for your lights and accesories.

I would be willing to bet everything I own that your flywheel has eaten through your ignition side of the stator windings.

Just test the stator wires with an ohm meter and you should get similar resistance on all leads (except for the pickup lead) if one of them doesn't have anything then that is your bad phase.

i just got done winding my own 3 phase stator about 6 months ago. So I've read extensively on the topic...

plus this is common for rotax triples.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts