Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help...again Everytime i go to start the sled now it fouls plugs. I cant even get it to start, every now and then it will fire over but thats its. I pull it once more then pull the plugs, they're wet. What do i do? I got the best result when i sprayed starting fluid, it started on second pul and i got it to go fast enough to turn the track but then it bogged out, checked the plugs and they're wet again. Should i turn the idle screws up?

·
Registered
61 Posts
One thing you could try is pulling all the plugs and with them out pull it over a few times lets say 6 or 7 good pulls. Then reinsert plugs and try firing it up or else try draining the carbs through the float bowl nut.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i drain the carbs will i want to prime it at all? Im assuming yes but idk. Im not sure why its doing this. I pulled it like 3 times with the plugs out, maybe i need to do it more.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over at doo talk they say i should change the plugs...sounds good to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
logic says if the plugs foul and you change those plugs without correcting the problem then the new ones will also foul..no?? I agree u need to put new plugs in if the old ones are fouling, but give er a few pulls with no plugs then reinsert plugs and try again without prime at first, then a little if it doesnt work, and repeat.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i may try it today but probably not, i dont have much motivation right now, pretty much all the snow is gone from the rain and 35 deg. temps. Im in a snow depression right now LOL

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well heres what happened today, first thing i did was take out the spark plugs and sand blast them. After that i left the plugs out and pulled it over 5 times. I put em back in and pulled like 4 times, nothing. Took the plugs back out and they were slightly wet, but not very wet. So i left them wet and checked the spark, got a good spark. I put em back in. This time i primed it like 4 times. It fired over on the second pul and stayed started for about 10 seconds, then it died out. Checked the plugs and they were again slightly wet but not bad so i put them back and and primed it once. Started right up but died withing a second. Primed it once more and held the gas a little, fired up and stayed started for maybe 5 seconds and died. Then my pull rope broke. So my belief is that its not getting enough gas or there is still air bubbles in the lines. If i have some rope laying around the house ill fix it tonight and try it tommorow. I think my problem is there is still air in the lines because i ran out of gas. I may also turn my air screws down to 2 turns or 1 1/2

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well heres what happened today, first thing i did was take out the spark plugs and sand blast them. After that i left the plugs out and pulled it over 5 times. I put em back in and pulled like 4 times, nothing. Took the plugs back out and they were slightly wet, but not very wet. So i left them wet and checked the spark, got a good spark. I put em back in. This time i primed it like 4 times. It fired over on the second pul and stayed started for about 10 seconds, then it died out. Checked the plugs and they were again slightly wet but not bad so i put them back and and primed it once. Started right up but died withing a second. Primed it once more and held the gas a little, fired up and stayed started for maybe 5 seconds and died. Then my pull rope broke. So my belief is that its not getting enough gas or there is still air bubbles in the lines. If i have some rope laying around the house ill fix it tonight and try it tommorow. I think my problem is there is still air in the lines because i ran out of gas. I may also turn my air screws down to 2 turns or 1 1/2[/b]
First, make sure your floats are not sticking. Clean your carbs thoroughly. Then check your fuel pump. Make sure it is working. Next, there is an L shape piece that comes out of the bottom of the block. Make sure that it has a short hose on it and doesn't leak air. Check your fuel filter if you have one. Sounds like maybe a fuel pump is bad or floats are sticking. Last but not least, check your compression. If your compression is low it will not pump fuel to the carbs. Also check your gas line for an air bubble. My guess if it is flooding out it is probably a check valve or floats are sticking. Clean your carbs. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think it is flooding out because yesterday everytime it stalled out i had to prime it to get it to start back up. I think theres still air in the lines. If thats not the case then ill clean the carbs. If that doesnt help then im pretty sure it will be the compression because i rebuilt the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have any more ideas? Hopefully my parents pick me up some plugs today. I fixed my recoil today and tried to start it again. Pretty much the same thing as the first time i tried. I would clean the plugs, it would fire over for a split second then nothing, primed it pulled again and nothing. Im hoping my timing isnt off. (knocks on wood)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
plug gap 16thou-18thou

·
Registered
97 Posts
dig into those carbs! i bet you'll find something there. Sounds like you have the floats a bit high... Maybe you have some icing in the lines from running her dry. older sleds have nasty chit in the bottom of the tank. you could have something clogging the filter. letting only enough fuel to get it going for a second then going dry. the plugs will always look a bit wet after a failed starting attempt..... unless of course it's BONE dry.

that's all I could think of

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know its nothing from the tank because i cleaned it during the summer so it was bone dry. I didnt put the gas tank on until like august and its had fresh gas since then.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Nick, go back and write down everything you did prior to it flooding. Check each of those things. I know you had the fuel screws out because of a high idle, right? Check your needle and seats. It only takes something as fine as a hair to keep them from seating. Good luck!

Brian

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah thats exactly what my dad asked me. I said i messed with my idle and air screw. So when we went out he did the same thing i did and took the plugs out and had the same result. He turned the air screws like 3 turns out and held the throttle a little open. It started on like the 6th pull. I turned my idle screws like 3 turns in. Its idling about 2500 but it drops and goes up sporadicly. So i think i just need to let it idle for a while and let it work itself out. Then ill mess with the idle and air screws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts