Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Took the sled out for a few laps this weakend, getting mod finely tuned.

One major problem.

BELT SLIP,BELT SLIP, BELT SLIP!

I swear, after a few runs I thought me clutch was going to melt

How do you guys recommend I rough up the faces a bit?

Never had this problem before, But I've REALLY boosted the mid-range up now.

Also, this is a brand new OEM clutch (polaris p-85). I bought it because I want to keep the origional for trail and this one for drags.

Have not tried with the origional clutch yet because we are out of snow now. But it "feel" rougher on the aluminium.

Also, I was running a brand new OEM 3211066 polaris belt. Double cog CVT material.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
what kind of sled what weights are you runing what spring are you runing,measure that belt it should be 47 1/4 inches around
i have checked some of those belts and none are the same length ive seen as much as a half inch diffrence from 1 belt to another

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Mach1,

I checked belt deflection during the test, so I don't believe it's the problem.

Does anyone an opinion on roughing up clutch faces?

I used to use scotchbrite strips and polish in a circular motion, Then wash off the faces with acetone. Does anybody have a better method?

Is this method Ok or should I be rubbing in a straight line with the scothbrite. Or should I be using a light grade emery cloth?

Any help will be appreceated, thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
;) Sounds like you may have an alignment problem. Did you check the belt to see where the belt is wearing?
It should be the shiney side or possibly the burnt side.
You can use emery cloth to polish the clutch sides but use a fine grit 220 or finer.
The alignment of a clutch is often over looked you will need to have the tool to do it with or use a straight edge which sometimes does not work too well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have always used Scotchbrite pads and ACETONE! There are different grades of Scotchbrite pads, just like sand paper. Emory cloth works well too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Shane, Kenny.

Like I said, this is a new OEM clutch, I have not reworked the surface yet. And the belt is new as well, perhaps that could be a factor?

So scothbrite is OK, thats good.

As far as motor alignment goes, It is spot on. I have checked it with my alignment tools.
I am running 0.00" parallel, 0.005 up/down (from parallel)

Actually, last year I tore out the cheap polaris mounts during a run. Twisted it pretty bad.
This year I have it set up with hard motor mounts. Reverse torque arm is tight on motor, so no more deflection during acceleration. I had to shim the parallel by about 1/8 in and push the motor back with the torque arm to achieve true running parallel.

All my buddies told me that the vibration through the frame would be anoying but I can hardly tell the difference.

·
Registered
310 Posts
does anyone know where I can get a new TRA clutch?? I cant find them anywhere.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you want a brand new TRA, see a ski-doo shop. But be ready to spend big bucks.

If you want a new-used (under 300-400 miles) go to a salvage yard. These things go for about $200.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts