Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the motor out of the shed today and bolted it into my polaris chassie. I had oiled it this spring and the dealer supposedly looked at the bottom end in late May and said it looked great. I tried to rotate it with the clutch would it would barley budge. Took the head off and the cylinders and pistons look fine. With the head off i tried to move it by pushing on the cluctch and it still wouldnt move. Put a socket on the clutch bolt with a 1/2 drive and it broke the clutch bolt free and i tightened it down to 50 ft/lbs. It did turn about a 1/4 of a revolution, then i turned it the other way and it went back to were it started, maybe a little farther. I think that the bottom end bearings are rusted up. The motor has not been run in 2 years. One other thing, to pull the cylinders off the front two center bolts, do i need a thin walled socket to get them out? I have Craftsman and i couldnt get it to slip down over. Sorry about the long post Everyone. Im bummed out i has hoping to do some grass draggin this fall! Any imput would be great the motor has about 5000 miles.
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sounds like the motor wasn't stored properly. Rusty bearings are murder on any engine. Might as well finish tearing it down and estimate the damage. It's amazing how much a little oil can save major bucks. You might get lucky and have it run fine. My buddy has a 98 Mach1 that was not put away for the summer and come the following fall he tried to start it and it was totally seized! It took over 200# of tourqe on the clutch to break it loose and believe it or not it is still running after over 2000 miles!!!! It doesn't sound quite right but runs strong. If it were mine it would be torn down.

P.S. the clutch bolt is to be tourqed @ 80# not 50

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mikadoo, how did he apply 200 # to it? Thanks for the info on the clutch!!!
Greg

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mikadoo, how did he apply 200 # to it? Thanks for the info on the clutch!!!
Greg

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
With a 1/2" breaker bar & clutch holder

·
Registered
852 Posts
Something sorta doesent sound right, and I`m not talkin the doo motor in the polaris..if you pull the jugs off, you should be able to get a indication if the crank bearings are somewhat rusty, for instance say if their seeping rust, but if the jugs look real good I half think the lower part could too, at any rate you have to doo further disassembly, a thin wall socket I didnt think was reqiured but a 11mm or 7/16 3/8`s drive should do the trick. Good luck, I`m curious to see what you will find.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on trying to take the jugs off this weekend. When i had the head off the cylinder walls looked fine. I didnt see any rust on them at all. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the jugs off of it. Turned out its not the crank bearings. It is the bearing on the connnecting rod that is seized. I guess that Ill have to replace it then.

Thanks everybody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts