Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my 2000ZR 600 engine due too throwing a piston, and having to replace all components (all gaskets, and all hard parts including crankshaft). I torqued the case to 27FTlbs, jugs to25 FTlbs, and cylhead to 15FTlbs.

I'm still leaking coolant out of the clutch side of the engine when fired up, and yes ALL PARTS ARE NEW!! I have about 2300.00 into it and i'm kicking myself all the way!!

Im hoping that someone has run into this before and can help me in this . I have made my mistake by not listening to just replace the engine, I guess you can say I'm just stubborn.

I hope that I did something wrong and not a defective part. Please help me fix my mistake I just want to ride again.

Thanks for all help in advance,

Andy :( :unsure:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Need more info,

Can you see it leaking out?
Is it leaking between the head and jug or the jug and case?
Is it running down the bottom of the case from the pump?
How much is leaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the coolant is leaking out of the exaust port when the engine is running. I thought that the o-rings were pinched, and took the head off to see, but all was fine. I also took the waterpump apart, and replaced all water and oil seals in it (behind the impeller) again thinking that I screwed up installing them.

The only thing I can think that the water is coming from is through the lower cylinder gasket.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
can you run a pressure test on it ? if coming out of the exhaust port head gasket,cracked cylinder,or warped head. comes to mind.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it is coming from the port you are probably looking for a bad head o-ring, a cracked head, a warped head, or a cracked jug.
If you want to check the head for warpage, or make it perfectly flat yourself go to the local hardware store and buy a 12'' X 12'' piece of glass and a couple sheets (8X11) of emery cloth. I usually start with 220 grit and finish with 400.
Tape the emery cloth to the glass sheet and place on a nice flat bench surface. Slowly work the head surface over the cloth in various circular motions. Check the head from time to time to see just how much it is warped. Keep sanding until all low spots are gone.

I have checked and fixed many warped heads in this fashion and it works great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was coolant "spitting" out of the clutch side of the engine exhaust port only. Like I have said all parts have been replaced including cylenders, pistions, head, crank, all gaskets, and seals.
I thought I had pinched the o-rings on the head so I tore the head off, and checked it all out. All seemed fine. I felt the jugs when it was running and the starter side felt normal, and the clutch side felt "room temp" never warmed up. When I took the pipes off and ran it again coolant was only coming out of the one cylinder, and the pipe was full of water.
I was wondering if my torques were off spec, maybe too loose?? and allowing the coolant to sneek past the lower gasket :huh: .
The warped head, and cylinder theory seems possible, but how many of you guys had experinced warpage with new parts from Arctic Cat?? I spent as I said about 2300.00 and would hope that it is just a thing I messed up, and not trying to fix a new part issue. I also thought about switching jugs and seeing if the problems follows the cylinder, or stays where it is.
Again I thank all for the help. if I find out anything with the jugs off (which I hope I do) I will post it, otherwise I will contuine to rack the brains of the forum. :bash:

Thanks

Andy

P.s. I now have the engine removel down to 20min., and installation down to 30min. :crazy:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize it was a 'new' cylinder head, I doubt it is warped.
Sometimes head bolts work loose after a couple warm ups and need to be re-torqued. Don't know if this applies in your case.
If you are just getting a bit of coolant from the exhaust port th leak is most likely from the head or gasket. If the case is full of coolant it may be the base gaskets. I would check the torque on every thing too.

keep us informed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it is coming from the port you are probably looking for a bad head o-ring, a cracked head, a warped head, or a cracked jug.
If you want to check the head for warpage, or make it perfectly flat yourself go to the local hardware store and buy a 12'' X 12'' piece of glass and a couple sheets (8X11) of emery cloth. I usually start with 220 grit and finish with 400.
Tape the emery cloth to the glass sheet and place on a nice flat bench surface. Slowly work the head surface over the cloth in various circular motions. Check the head from time to time to see just how much it is warped. Keep sanding until all low spots are gone.

I have checked and fixed many warped heads in this fashion and it works great![/b]

Sorry I've been away for awhile.
I found out that even though all parts are new, I listened to the fourm and tore the engine apart and shaved the head, and jugs like versatileman said, and found the head to be warped!!!!

I reasembled the engine fired it up and I'm know longer loosing coolant(that I can tell), but did notice that the clutch side plug is still wet, and the recoil side is running fine. Do I still have a coolant leak out the exaust , or is this some thing else.

I'm about out of money and my mind trying to solve this problem. I have put about 50 easy miles on it and seems to run good, but I do not want to do this rebuild again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts