Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new...
Hey I got an 1996 Arctic cat zr580. I am almost positive its got a bad coil in it but I want your opinon. If I put new plugs in it she will run for 15-20 minutes without skipping a beat then pop and die. I think that once the new plugs get carbon on them they just don't have enough spark. Am I right? Also how hard would this be to do?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would say that you are wrong. Do a visual check on the spark to see if it looks weak, or if it has gone away. Ground the plug to head bolt and pull the engine over and watch the spark. Make sure you have a solid connection between the plug cap and the plug wire, push and twist the cap onto the wire to ensure a good connection. If you determine that the spark has disappeared when the engines dies, and that the spark was good and strong when the engine was cold, then you should probably look into the stator. A common manifestation of stator problems is that the engine will operate fine when cold and then act up, or quit, when the engine gets hot. Running the sled when it is warm out for 15 - 20 minutes can also be harmful to the engine and result in over heating. Is the problem you are reporting occurring now, or was this a problem from last winter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say that you are wrong. Do a visual check on the spark to see if it looks weak, or if it has gone away. Ground the plug to head bolt and pull the engine over and watch the spark. Make sure you have a solid connection between the plug cap and the plug wire, push and twist the cap onto the wire to ensure a good connection. If you determine that the spark has disappeared when the engines dies, and that the spark was good and strong when the engine was cold, then you should probably look into the stator. A common manifestation of stator problems is that the engine will operate fine when cold and then act up, or quit, when the engine gets hot. Running the sled when it is warm out for 15 - 20 minutes can also be harmful to the engine and result in over heating. Is the problem you are reporting occurring now, or was this a problem from last winter?[/b]
Thanks for your reply

I was hoping it was not the Stator... :bash: This is a problem from last winter that I just got to. How much is a re-wound one cost? is it worth it over a new one? Is there any fix?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts