Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crazy: Anybody know how I can find the info....?

Two and a half yrs. ago I bought a Mountain Max from a friend who was going through a rather nasty divorce. I got a bill of sale at the time, but he couldn't remember the name of the previous owner, and his estranged wife was not about to give back the bill of sale he had gotten from the previous owner. I had asked her about it, but have gotten nothing. As far as I can tell, when he'd bought the Max from this person, I don't think anything was done as far as changing ownership of machine. And I've been trying to jump through hoops in this state with the UCC to no avail. All dead ends! Will I ever be able to ride my Max legally? Is there any way of tracing ownership of this machine through the VIN without going through the state? Signed...Dewey wanna ride?

·
Registered
1 Posts
:crazy: Anybody know how I can find the info....?

Two and a half yrs. ago I bought a Mountain Max from a friend who was going through a rather nasty divorce. I got a bill of sale at the time, but he couldn't remember the name of the previous owner, and his estranged wife was not about to give back the bill of sale he had gotten from the previous owner. I had asked her about it, but have gotten nothing. As far as I can tell, when he'd bought the Max from this person, I don't think anything was done as far as changing ownership of machine. And I've been trying to jump through hoops in this state with the UCC to no avail. All dead ends! Will I ever be able to ride my Max legally? Is there any way of tracing ownership of this machine through the VIN without going through the state? Signed...Dewey wanna ride?[/b]

I had a similar case in Wisconsin...I was given the name of the prior owner, but he never responded. The employee at the service center told me to write up a statement that I purchased the snowmobile, the registration was lost and I tried to contact the prior owner with no success. A few weeks later, I got my new registration/title.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Yeah your DMV or whoever is in charge of vehicle registrations should have a system in place for this. It is a state thing so I can't say how your state handles it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:christmas: Thanx Craneage2001 & Beaxch for the tips....appreciate them. I did find a way through the state website. I had to download and printout a form called the "Vessel/Vehicle Public Disclosure", fill it out, then fax it to the state. When I got the info back I had to write up a request to release interest on the sled to the current registration holder and send it 'return request/certified mail. I'm now waiting for a response. If he doesn't recieve it for any reason, I'll get the letter back, at which time I can take it unopened to the DMV, and they will then issue me registration. If he does recieve the letter, I've requested him to fill out another bill of sale, have it notorized and send it to me, at which time I can take it to the DMV. Thanx again for the info..........Merry Sledding! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts