Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy wants to get an older sled, but only has $500 to spend. He would like it to be in good running condition and newer than 1975. It must be located in Western New York or NW Pennsylvania. Preferably in the Olean, Bradford area. Thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do ya mean its not much to work with? Its pretty straight forward I think.

·
Registered
959 Posts
he means the $$$ it would be better if he had a little more money and tyo get a 70's sled that runs good with out it being worth major $$$ is gonna be hard

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There may be something decent out there for that much money but it will certainly take some looking to find. Happy hunting.
Rick.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We had an old Polaris TX that we sold for $600 and an old Ski-doo TNT that we bought for $20 and sold for $400. They were both in excellent mechanical condition. So the sleds are definately out there, you just have to look hard enough. If you would be willing to bump up to at least $1000 you would get a pretty descent ride.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
My best friend growing up dad has a '84 SRV and a "83 or '85 Vmax for sale. He wanted $700 each last Febuary. They've barley been used since 86/87. Fired up only when there was enough snow down here, but he maintained them well. He has really nice Yam covers for them also. I've been thnking of them actually for back up sleds. They are 540cc machines, that are very fast do to there light weight.
Caleb

·
Registered
303 Posts
last year I sold my '84 yahama 440, fan cooled, perfect condidition, 1800 miles for $500. After that i went out and bought an '87 Yahama SRV 540, with 900 original miles, nice conditions for $550. I am planning to sell next week for $1200. So the deals are out there.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I would suggest he save until he has atleast a $1000. you will find much more selection in that price range.

FishHog

·
Registered
757 Posts
The deals are certainly there to be found but like mentioned, an extra $500 would get him into the late 80's-early 90's (maybe even mid '90's). Much better gamble than dealing with late 70's-early 80's. IMO

·
Registered
59 Posts
For $500, make sure the person you are buying the sled from (preferrably older), doesn't know much about sleds... otherwise, you'll be holding the rest of the group up with break downs!! :devil:

Also, don't expect to be picking up too many chicks! :nervous:

You might be better off buying in Canada, if you're close.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think with only $500 it's going to be difficult to find a decent sled that would be worth buying a trail pass for. I know I'm having trouble finding a sled for $2000 (CDN) or less. Whe you get into older sleds it seems that if it runs it's worth $750 - $1000. Tell your friend not to get discouraged, there's lots of time to save a few more bucks.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
if u find somthing for 500 bucks it is going to nickle and dime him to death, so its just as well to save up a couple thousand and get somthing decent to start with, as a sled for 500 bucks if u even find one is going to cost u $$ to keep it running.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All 6 sleds we have owned we have bought for less than $300. I bought a Kawi Drifter and haven't had to buy a thing for it. I owned a 1970 Rupp a few years back and don't plan on owning a pre '75 sled anytime soon. I would ride for 2 hours and then spend another 2 hours fixing stuff on it (not fun). My friend is just looking for a sled to ride around on his land so it doesn't have to be the best, just a good runner. He has a 73? AC Cheetah
440 for sale if anyone is interested (needs carb work?)

·
Registered
78 Posts
i dont know if youre into ebay, but this seller has a pair of '80 el tigre's up right now you might wanna look into. Theyre in your vicinity too. There's also a '76 pantera on there right now for around 500. Do a search for 'arctic cat' and you should get a few results.ebay sled

·
Registered
12 Posts
The deals are out there... a few months back I bought an '81 SRX for $300, runs perfect, just needed a new belt. And just this weekend I bought an '89 El Tigre EXT for $400 only has 1350 miles on it, needed a good carb cleaning and it runs great. I also know where's there's an '80 SS440 for sale $375, also runs great, is clean an straight. The moral is... the deals are out there, you just need to keep asking around. Look in the papers for yard sales. I find a lot this way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts