Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 2001 mxz 600.  I need it to beat a 2002 ZR 600.  Right now both are stock.  The MXZ get the jump out of the hole, but in mid-range (60-70) the ZR catches the MXZ and then walks by.  I don't want to gear or do clutch work for top end that will hurt low end bad, as most of the places we ride you don't see top end anyway.  I was thinking of gearing down a bit and playing with the clutches.  If we can get another couple sled lengths out of the hole, the ZR won't touch it.  Any suggestios as to what I can do for gears (if I should at all) and what I can do as far as clutching??  Any help would be appreciated.  We can't let the cat win!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
It is so unfortunate that that stock Cat is beating you.
You could try a multiple angle helix in your secondary. You will have to choose the one yourself though.
multiple angle helixes help you put your RPM's where you need them.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Make sure your throttle is fully opened, mine was not. Align clutches, shim secondary so belt almost stays engaged, this is better than gearing down. Do not gear down! Clean your Rave valves, index spark plugs, jet down to conditions. What is your rpm at 60mph. Realign ski's, dealers don't try very hard. Advance your timing to #2 at dealer on computer, this advances, thenuse 90 octane fuel. Type of track and tension could slow you down.
Lose weight, LOL

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
tune it up good that Cat shouldn't have a prayer against you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sharkey -- Thanks for the advice.  This is actually a friends machine, so I am not sure what the rpms are at 60, but I will fond out.  What should they be at?  I will try the other things you mentioned.  Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts