Snowmobile World banner

needle jet setter for an 87 indy sport

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  162Whiskey 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought this sled, and am running through the cleaning motions and am on the carbs at the moment and my issue is, these carbs came equipped with a needle jet setter part# 3130283 and the dealers cant get them anymore. I found one in the UK, and all said and done it will cost me 36 bucks for it. I would just like to know if I have any other options or will I have to suck it up and buy it. Also I plan on removing the engine to replace gaskets and such and noticed the mounting plate was loose. How on earth do you remove the bolts for that plate?? I can only see the tops, the bottoms seem like there totally enclosed.

#2 ·
I've never heard of a needle jet setter, nor have I ever used one to remove and replace the needle jet in the round slide Mikuni carbs. By pulling the main jet, and then removing the brass washer beneath it, you should see the lower end of the needle jet. Using a solid rod of some sort: wood, plastic, or aluminum or brass, something that fits inside the hole but also contacts the edges to the jet evenly, push or lightly tap that jet out. After cleaning the jet with compressed air and wiping any corrosion out of the hole it fits into, carefully push it back down the hole. There is a brass pin that aligns with a keyway cut in one side of the lower end of the jet. Replace the brass washer, the fiber washer, and the main jet (assuming it is correct for your temp and elevation). Be careful not to snug it too tight or you break the soft brass.

http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Mikuni_VM_series,_round_slide_carburetors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.