Snowmobile World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced needles and seats in the 99' 600 twins?
FOR THE 38mm MIKUNI'S THEY WANT $60.00 A PIECE!! YEP,
THATS $120.00 FOR THE 2. THAT'S A :cussing: RIP-OFF!! Now
don't get me wrong, I have no problem spending money on my
sled, but COME-ON!! $120.00 FOR NEEDLES AND SEATS? Here is
the reason why, the needle, seat, and float bowl are sold as one
assembley (the seat is actually plastic) and they won't seperate
any of the pieces for sale...........MIKUNI NEEDS TO GET IT TOGETHER!!
I did find a place that would give me $15.00 off of two (gee thanks)

:angry: I am not a happy camper!!
any suggestions, or better yet, can anyone get'em cheaper!!
Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I have a 99 600 and I've been running rich since I got it. Is your sled stock or do you have some mods or are you just trying to lean it out? If its stock whats your theory on leaning it out? Currently I'm real close to order up a Tema Flow to regulate the jetting on the carbs. A couple of pages back you will find my post on tempa flow. Let talk I was first looking at changing needle jets but after your comments I'll probably go with the tempa flow for close to the same money. Good luck give me some feed back when you get a chance.Talk to you later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
60 a piece. That seems really out of line. I have bought needles and seats for Mikuni Jetski carbs. The only thing different is they are all brass, and don't have floats attached. They were only like 15 for the pair I think. I think I would check another store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK GUYS, I DID NOT TRY JUST ONE STORE, IN FACT I TRIED 7 DIFFERENT ONES AND THEY ALL SAID THE SAME THING
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by SNOWFREAK@Oct 22 2002, 01:03 PM
OK GUYS, I DID NOT TRY JUST ONE STORE, IN FACT I TRIED 7 DIFFERENT ONES AND THEY ALL SAID THE SAME THING
That stinks.
They probably charge so much to make up for lost money when they switched to plastic. They used to be part of the casting and in order to get the floats off to get to the needle and seat you had to knock a pin out and people used to break the casting all the time. Then you had to buy a whole new casting. It really sucked. I'll be sure not to break that plastic then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
I ran into the same thing last season on my 02 800. I was out of town and figured hey needles and seats are no big deal so I'll head on over to the local dealer and get me a couple. I thought the guy must be kidding when he told me the price, well at those prices I put up with the problem and got it done under warranty the following week.
:)
Rick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 22 2002, 05:00 PM
I ran into the same thing last season on my 02 800. I was out of town and figured hey needles and seats are no big deal so I'll head on over to the local dealer and get me a couple. I thought the guy must be kidding when he told me the price, well at those prices I put up with the problem and got it done under warranty the following week.
:)
Rick.
Hey ZR,
What was the problem you were having. Did you break one. Or was it to do with the rejetting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Well I had a bad needle and seat in a "99" ZR700. Gas would run out of the vent tubes all the time. I removed the N/S float assy. and spread the float ends useing a snap ring plires and removed the needle. I blew the seat out with air and cleaned the needle and presto it worked just fine.

Auggie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
No it had nothing to do with the jetting. Most of last season my sled had an intermittant problem with loading up at idle that would come and go but never do it at the dealer. They checked and cleaned the carbs but saw nothing. Well on my last trip north it went from somewhat intermittant causing it to run rich to allout flooding. The snow was gone by the following weekend so I don't know if that cured the whole problem.
:)
Rick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 23 2002, 05:53 PM
No it had nothing to do with the jetting. Most of last season my sled had an intermittant problem with loading up at idle that would come and go but never do it at the dealer. They checked and cleaned the carbs but saw nothing. Well on my last trip north it went from somewhat intermittant causing it to run rich to allout flooding. The snow was gone by the following weekend so I don't know if that cured the whole problem.
:)
Rick.
Huh. That's weird. Let me know when we get some snow if its fixed or not. Never heard of that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
I'm betting the needles and seats have cured the whole problem as it now runs properly cold, something it has never done since new. If started and allowed to idle for even just a moment or two it would always load up.
:)
Rick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey what excatly was the feul pump recall on the 99's about (what was it doing?) was it pushing too much feul in or just not working?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top