Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the Firecat, Rev and RX-1 in person for the first time in the past week. They all have similar front ends with a small bulkhead sections and long A-arms. My question is, the A-arms all look pretty vulnerable to me. Does anyone else see this as being a problem? Man, all I can think of is a rock, bump, or stump catching a hold of one of them things. I have a ZR and it seems to me it has a wider bulkhead and that the A-arms are a little better protected.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Two years ago we were riding a lake. On the way back doing about 120km we all hit the same pressure crack.

All the machines survived it except for the cat. The front suspention compressed and never returned.

However trailing arm sled have there weak points as well. And dont do as great a job as the Aarms.

Either way if you hit somthing you could have damage on both systems. So just ride and try to avoid stuff.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
The big thing I've noticed is that a trailing arm sled will, when sujected to a big enough hit, bend and damage the trailing arms. Takes some time and $$ to repair but I've seen some CAT's take a big hit and damage the bulkhead. Nothing knocking CAT's it just seems to be a drawback to the a-arms. As they make the arms better the weak point tends to show up at the bulkhead. Granted if you hit something bad enough on any sled you could damage the bulkhead it just seems more of an issue with the a-arm sleds.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with you jayjaysin. If you look at all of the new models this year you can see that the front is narrower than in past years. They want to keep the ski stance for stability which leaves your A arms sticking out without much protection. The A arm suspension seems to be a better suspension but sometimes to make improvements we have to make some sacrifices.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Yeah, it looks like those skis are "way out there" on the F-cats, RX-1, and Rev. Probably really aren't, but those a-arms look more vulnerable to a tree than the others.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The A-arms on the rev won't break away (I sure would hope not!!) but the front piece where they mount it to the tunnel is removable/replaceable so you don't destroy your whole chassis if you crash real bad. The REV also spreads its hits differently with its "pyramidal" chassis vs a "normal" bulkhead type chassis sled.... its supposed to be real tough. Hit something hard enough and it will break. :0:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Longer A arms are not for a wider ski stance. They allow for more travel.
I've been riding since leaf spring days, and I've seen more broken / bent trailing arms than A arms. I've also seen the rear pivot on a couple of trailing arm Ski-Doos broken out of the frame. This can't be an eazy fix. That said however, anything can be broken.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
This season will be the true test for the REV & Firecats. They are in the hands of John Q. Sledder being put thru the wringer. Out of all the demos out last winter how many do you think were damaged, probably not too many. This season it will be a different story. Any weak points will be addressed in the '04 models.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey if you're going to run into things you're gonna have damage no bark biting here lol buy a rubber sled lol :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts