Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
How far down the pipe from the exhuast port do the EGT probes go?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The placement of probes is in direct relationship to the exhaust design of the machine. Usually the best way to find out the distance is to contact the pipe manufactuer that you are using. If you are using the stock exhaust, then pick up a race manual for that brand and follow the guidelines for mounting EGTs.

On most Doo's, it is 100mm from the exhaust side of the piston skirt.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got my egt set up done and was wondering what degree the pipes should be at idle (1100 rpm) est. And i'm thinkin at wot it should be 1250?? at 8600 rpms I seem to be at 300-400 degree at idle and had it up to 750 deg at a quick pinned throttle burst. I'm waiting for snow to get it fully warmed and check wot temp. Any help on temp ranges would be great.

·
Registered
372 Posts
anywhere between 250-400 at idle works well,as far as wide open you should check with the manufacture of the pipe. irun crank shop pipes and they are at 6" down the centerline of the pipe from the piston skirt.they also need to be in the pipe from1/3-1/2 way in.with these i need to be at 1200.skidoo says at 100mm on a stock exhaust it will meltdown at 1330 degrees.

·
Registered
327 Posts
your EGT number means squat without getting a baseline!!!!
I have seen sleds melt down at 1050 DEG
You need to do a wide open run and shut the machine off and read your piston wash and then guage what your egt reading was. If you have lots of wash and are reading1150 then you can jet down until you wash is where you want it. Then that is your base line for egt reading.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by kragar@Jun 7 2004, 03:48 PM
your EGT number means squat without getting a baseline!!!!
I have seen sleds melt down at 1050 DEG
You need to do a wide open run and shut the machine off and read your piston wash and then guage what your egt reading was. If you have lots of wash and are reading1150 then you can jet down until you wash is where you want it. Then that is your base line for egt reading.
as i stated before 250-400 works for most sleds at an idle also i said I RUN CRNKSHP PIPES AND NEED TO BE AT 1200,i also stated that you should check with the pipe manufacturer,they CAN TELL YOU WHAT THERE PIPES ARE SUPPOSED TO RUN ON YOUR SLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,but any tuner messing with an engine should know all motors are differant and caution should be used,just as if you were jetting without an egt start a little rich and go from there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Maybe I was a little harsh but I can't see a pipe manufacturer telling you what to run your egts at as like you said every motor is different. Rather than calling your egts in degrees of Fahrenheit call them widgets. It is just a number and means nothing without knowing how many widgets it takes to burn a piston. If your piston wash is perfect and your guage shows 1100 widgets then you know that is where you want to run. These guages have a wealth of knowledge but are useless if you don't understand how to use them first. I use a racepak but they are simialr in what they record. I can playback a run and in my case with drag racing..I find that my egts actually rise much quicker at the start of a run due to the huge amount of load on the motor and then will cool off at wide open throttle. If you just looked at the max of the egts one would think that my optimum widget number is being achieved but it actually wasn't as the motor was still rich as my pilots needed to be adjusted first then my mains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts