Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have info on hp for the new 600ho?  If it has 10% more, that would make it about 132, because the regular 600 has about 120, right?  Or am I way off?
I've always wanted an MXZ, but now Cat has that Firecat 700 with 140 horses, the same power as the 800.  Plus, it's 30 lbs lighter than an MXZ.  It's looking pretty good, which is sad, 'cause I've always leaned toward skidoo...

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
120 for the stock 600 is a little high...maybe 105-110. Don't jump ship quite yet...there is more to a sled than horsepower. The MACH Z never had as much HP as the T-Cat, but it was the giant killer right out of the box. Don't live by the numbers alone

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rocketman is absolutely correct. There are many factors that determine how much you will enjoy your sled. If it's merely acceleration and top speed you're interested in, again, HP numbers are only a part of it. Torque is the key to acceleration and at what RPM it is delivered. A 700 is not going to have the bottom and midrange torque of an 800. It may make more HP than an 800 at it's peak RPM, but that peak RPM will almost certainly be higher and more peaky than that of an 800. What really counts is how much of that HP gets to the snow. Here is where clutching, drivetrain losses and track have a lot to do with it. The new AC 700 Firecat has a 13.5" wide by 128" long track on it and that's certainly going to add up to less contact patch on the snow, hence less traction out of the hole.

Also, the 800 MXz twin is typically good for around 135 HP out of the box.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I talked to a dealer that sells both Cat and Doo. He said that after riding both chassis, that the REV handles better. They said that they tried to throw it into the corners as hard as they could to see if they could tip it. Absolutely stuck.

Also, that 30 lbs is more like 20, and that is "advertised" I think you will see come snow where the thruth shows. I have a 98 XC600, and it weighs 30+lbs more than my MXZ, but when it comes to aggresive trail riding, I like the Indy better. It weighs more, but the weight is in the right places. I think the REV is a large step at the concept of "weight in the right places"

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input.  I guess I shouldn't judge 'till I test drive.  As for what Roton said about less track on the ground, I heard that the Firecat's skid is built to compensate for the skinnier track, having only like 5% less footprint than your typical 15x121.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The 13 inch track will be history very shortly, just like their brakes, warped easy under sled. Tucker is believed to already have a 15x121" Open sled Sno pro style. According to Cat's Al Shimpa.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
the diffrence between the 800 and 800HO is less then the diffrence between the 600 and 600HO.  

The 600 is no longer in the 500 small block.  It is now in the bigblock with the 800 and 700.  

You can be sure that with the new reed pedles it will have great throttle responce and the REV chassie is looking awsome.  

Im getting a 600 HO.  My guess for HP is about is about 120 to 130.  But skidoos drive train is much more efficent this year then all the other manufactors now that they revamped the TRA and thats why Skidoos somtimes beat up on bigger sleds.  I wouldnt be supprised to see this rev hold with a fire cat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would think the 600 will have similar power to the 670, maybe just a little less.  My best guess would be about 115hp.  Keep in mind also, they said a 10% increase in power, not peak power, I hope they increased the torque.  Torque is what you want in a trail sled.  If you want big horspower they still make the Mach Z!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I heard that they dynoed a bunch of 600HOs in Valcourt with some dealers present and they were getting consistent 120 to 121 HP numbers!  I true the HO will be the new 600 class leader.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts