Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a bit of a budget so I've been looking around for a cheap used machine with some balls!!!(My friends all have 800cc+). I picked up a 1992 Wildcat 700 with pipes for $1000cnd. It's in good shape with no rust. The pipes a fairly new, it just needs a little cosmetic works to make it look a little better.

I'm just wondering if someone you give me some info on this machine like HP, weight, problem areas. Anything you know about the 700 Wildcats.

It's having a little problem idleing. It will idle but it's pretty low and also dies out. I'm planning on removing the carbs this weekend and give them a good soak. Also, the light's aren't working. NO LIGHT's AT ALL. Brake, headlight, gauges. I was told it could be the lighting coil or a relay somewhere. Any ideas??

THANKS!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had a '92 Wildcat and loved it. It was very fast for its day and very reliable. It came stock with twin pipes that gave it a sweet, gnarly sound. Published HP was between 110-115 in stock form. I would imagine that aftermarket pipes would get you somewhere close to 120HP. That's still quite a HP disadvantage to your buddy's 800's but still fast nontheless. I don't know what the actual weight was but it wasn't light. On the other hand it wasn't a tank either.
The 700 first appeared in the '88 Wildcat as a 650. The old 650's were known to generate crank problems due to a harmonic imbalance. The 700 came in '91 and the harmonic issues were supposedly remedied but the motor still wasn't the smoothest running (shakey). I never heard of any major crank or other issues with the 700 other than the primary clutch. Plan to rebuild the primary every 1000 miles. Here again, due to the charcteristics of the motor. A word of advice, don't crack your hood. That thing's expensive to replace.
The best thing I did to mine was cut that worthless fairing off and mount a '93 windshield to the hood.

It definately sounds like your carbs need a cleaning. As for the electrical issue, I'm not sure.

You got a sweet vintage muscle sled.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my buddy's will blow me away. But considering I use to ride a Tundra and I paid $10,000 less then they did, I think this sled will be enough for me right now!!! :hallo1:

One other thing, the tach isn't working. Is it connected to the oil pump? I've heard on other sleds that if the tach stops then you could have a problem with the pump.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had mine past 110 on the speedo and still climbing - fast.

One other thing. I broke two shocks (the front one in the rear skid). I don't know if it was over stress by design or riding it like a ZR (probably the later).

The tach question is best answered by the experts (I'm not).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Spider, that sled should be a lot of fun for you...don't know of any real problems w/it. The light problem is probably your voltage regulator...very easy and inexpensive fix. I went through quite a few light bulbs one time 'til I replaced the regulator.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
theres alot of talk about the older 700's versus the newer ones... I have ridden a 93' 700 and it was way quick. I happened to think that machine was alittle faster then the modified 600 my buddy has... Be easy on it cause they can really rip it up.... watch the moguls especially... you can toss yourself at a higher speed on the older machines

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!!!!! I'm probably be a regular here, and hope once I gain a bit of experince working on the sled I'll be able to help others.

How can I tell if it's the regulator or lighting coil. I've been told the same thing from a few people. Would the regulator cause all the lights to stop working???

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
When my regulator was bad, I'd be riding and my headlight would blow and ALL of my lights would go out...kinda interesting when that happens while you're ripping down the trails at night!! I guess if you're not actually blowing a bulb somewhere, it's probably the coil. I think a bad regu-
lator will blow a bulb somewhere because it's not, well, regulating the voltage. Price both parts...if neither one sets ya back too much, buy both...wouldn't hurt to have either one as a spare.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jim, could not even think about that, rippin dwn a trail and no lights! :( ouch,I didnt even see that tree coming up,,,,,literaly,,,,,,,,,,yikss,,,lol,,,,,,,,, welcome home spider.

·
Registered
959 Posts
those sleds can haul but you dont have a chance at a 800 you can tag along but you cant sho them up if it dosent have a clutch kit i would buy a good one goodwin or d&d make some good kits it would wake it up with them pipes also some studs wouldnet hurt it at all and as for the light i would test the wires at the switch and at each light see if theres power anywhere then check the regulator ;) good luck and may the kittycat win

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Spider, I wouldn't put a whole lot of money in aft/mkt items for that sled...may be hard to find anyway due to the age. No matter what you do, you won't outrun the newer bigger sleds w/out major engine mods. Get it running right, then just ride it and enjoy it. You're going to get hooked on sledding and in a year or two and you're going to want to upgrade anyway, that's just the way it is. :p :D The newer suspensions will mean more to you than making that 700 faster!!

Have fun!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll I dicovered a couple things about this sled today. I was giving the sled the once over and noticed a couple stickers below the seat. "Wiseco Pistons", and "???? Custom Gaskets". I was thinking that there must be something done to the engine.

I called the guy I bought it from and asked him about it. He had just bought the sled a couple weeks ago and was forced to sell it when his father brought home a SKS 800. So he never had a chance to use it, and wasn't sure about the engine becuase he didn't buy the sled directly from the owner. I got the name of the previous owner and gave him a call. He told me that he had done some major work on the engine 2 years ago. The cylinders are bored out and the heads are shaved. He was planning on racing the sled, but never got a chance to run her, he was forced to move away to work, and his father sold the sled.

What does shaving the heads do? Other than fixing warping problems?

I'm new to this mod stuff!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Oh boy...now you have to wonder if it was done right. Can you get a hold of him again and ask him who did the work??
Hopefully he had a shop do the job. Good luck!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was done by a performance shop. He didn't do it himself. The engine runs good & sounds mean as hell. Compression is around 135-140 per cyl. Is that about right?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the heads are shaved (increasing compression) the requirement for higher octane fuel increases. I'd watch my plugs and other indicators very closely.
Sounds like that sled should rock!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've got about 5" of snow in the last couple of days, and really cold.

But I took the Wildcat out for a spin around the yard. I wanted to check to see if the cooling system was working. Everything seems to be fine, all the hoses started to get warm after a bit of running. I topped up the coolant. I bought a tube of Snowmobile Grease. Anything else I should check to get it ready for the snow?

When I did the compression test the needle bounced up to about 145-150 and stayed at 120. Both cyl exactly the same.

Man, this sled as some balls!!. Last year I was riding my fathers Tundra II, and now the 700. It's going to take a bit of getting use to. As soon as I touched the throtle the track would spin. But that's mostly due to riding on snow covered pavement.

I'm getting the hood painted green, and I have the side decals ordered from a 2000 ZR600. I'll post pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your tach is electric not hooked in with oil pump, and with no lights working it could be a lot of things , but with tach also not working that is a pretty good sign the lighting coil is done. Check around engine to body wiring connections , if the engine was out maybe you will luck out & something will be unpluged or loose.
Lighting coil test : Check resistance from one yellow wire on the engine harness to the other yellow wire on the engine harness this gives you lighting coil resistance.

22ohm +/- 20% on your sled I think. test resistance on the X1 scale of your ohm meter.
Dry weight 520lb
Curb weight 580lb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts