Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F7 dyno numbers- 7700rpm peak torque with 94.3 lbs
                        8000rpm peak hp with 140.1
They also said it stayed right with the zr 900 in a drag.
It lacks the power of the 800 twins to around 7200rpm, then it is right with them or better.
  Oh well I guess.  From dynos I have seen the rotax 800 is the weaker twin, but the messing around I did last year, I could hold my own against a cat or pol.  Doo has lightest 800 machine ( zx-x & rev) but the F7 is very light.
F7-435
800Rev-454
800ZX-X-474
ZR800-507
800ProX-483
800XCSP-498

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I am not saying it is a good sled or not, but the sled they are running is a ringer. They evaluated it last Jan or Feb, 6 months before it ever saw production. This is a sled that was setup by Cat R+D and sent to the mag for evaluation. Let's see where the production sleds run before we call it like it is.

Just like the Viper last year. Never saw one that could keep up with the hype that the mags gave it. It still took allot of work to get them to keep up with the 800 twins they were supposed to beat up on.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I read in the article that it was dynoed at the cat factory as well
 that is enough for me.says when they are avail. they will do another test at dynoport with a production model.I bet it is similar to the viper they tested last year that was going to smoke us all,well it never happened.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'll bet the average cat consumer will not get 135 horse, the proto's are milled to hand perfection, and a wider porting tolerance than a warrantied consumer machine.
The 800 twin was close to 150 on the race tracks and not even 140 to average Joe.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
even if its 130-135 hp,being only 435lbs its going to be a very hard sled to beat in the 1/4 mile.on amsnow in the ask the engineer forum ,greg spaulding(developed engine) stated that the production f7 will be 140 no b.s,so we will see if he lives up to his word..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Yea, but who has the last say in how it is built is the Manufacturing Eng. Things like the exhaust, casting of the cyl. etc... all have to be considered. This stuff is exp. and any corner will be nubbed to save big $$ in production.

This motor is going to be a peaky motor. It is a bigger version of the 440. The motr will come on fast, not like the 800 and the 900. Just about anyone can clutch one of the BBlock twins, but I think you will see this motor is going to be like the S Block Pol. motors. The sweet spots are small. It is going to take a good tuner to get the potential out of it.

I help wrench on a race sled for a friend. Where they work is a marina that used to sell Cats. They never had a sled come from the factory with the power that the service manuals said they had, even with perfect jetting.

Just stick this engineer to the statement that all of them will have 140hp. go pick one up and head to the dyno. it doesn't lie.

This will not be the first ringer sled that has gone to the mags, and ALL of the mfgrs. are guilty of it. The government even busted down on Polaris last year for it. When the EPA went and tested sleds off of the showroom for emissions, they foud that they were 50% dirtier than the ones Polaris submitted for EPA testing.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Has anybody ever noticed that Am Snow tends to favor Cats?? I have went back through all of my issues and they pick them allmost evey time as the best sled in the comparison section  

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was reading the paid side on am snow & GLS said they now have the completed production engine with pipe as what is being sold to the public & it puts out as much or more HP as the proto engins of last winter. He said this surprised AC because they are usually less. He was happy to tell the consumer that they would have 138 to 140 HP .

·
4,440 Posts
in the article ,section ON THE DYNO "since this is such a new engine ,we had to work a little magic in order to get the test done.while we normally use dynoport's facilitys,we were forced to turn to the factory for a helping hand.when the f7's actually roll off the assembly line,we'll put one of those on the dynoport bench as well." read into this what you may but it looks like just an ad to me.I do not trust any manufacturer that claims their sleds hit a big number.there are to many variables to say they will all hit 140 hp stock.I will not say they will not hit 140 hp,I just will say for now I am very doubtful they will.not only cat but doo as well my 00 700 had 7 hp less than the one tested in the mags,and they said production versions would climb in hp over the sandcast pre-production units.mxz800 said it best they will cut all the corners they can to contain costs and improve profits.just remember the fine print they reserve the right to change specification at any time. p.s. nice to see you around mxzwfo, hows the new job?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The F7 will pack a big punch regardless of what the actual production hp is. The concept of this sled as a whole is a good one. Just from reading the mags and so forth, its sounds like this will be the 700 to beat. My brother-in-law orderd an F7 for him and a F5 for the wife. I have a stock 02 MXZ 700 and feel that he is going to whoop on me. Time will tell. Cat has always made exceptional machines and has a great racing history. The hp #s that they gave us in the past were right on the money,its just the wieght that they lied about.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Didn't cat claim 95hp for the Zr500 and evry dyno pulled a avg of 97hp. I do think it will be quite stout atleast the 140hp but not much more.
Caleb

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its all a sales a pitch. Someone at Cat obviously thinks publishing these numbers increases sales. Until consumers wise up and want proof of production performance before they buy, manufacturers will continue to stretch the truth and limit information.

Preserve your back and ride a REV.
Dollars to doughnuts Yam, Pol, and A/C are already working to properly centralise the rider like the REV for 2004. No matter what the cost. You can't compete with physics and expect to win.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anybody here ever seen or performed a dyno on a stock Doo 800 twin?  Last year the AMSnow showed 134-135.  Is that fairly accurate or was it rigged too?

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
All this talk  before there is even an inch of snow in the ground. I usually try to stay away from what the companies qoute as HP... You want a dyno test, give me 6", the sled, and let me squeeze the trigger and I will let you know how the sled runs. The fact is the F-7 is very light and with a light as$ guy like me on it and almost 135 HP the sled is going to be near uncontrollable. A kind of problem i would love to have. I think the F-5 would satisfy most of our appetites. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I talked to a guy that read on the paid side of american snow  that Cat is reporting that the F7 came in 25 pounds heavier than originally reported, can anybody else varify this?  If this is true, maybe it's good that Yamaha has kept their mouth shut about the RX-1's weight  

·
4,440 Posts
I would say after the lack of spring orders(for a Rev) would have the other manufacturers saying better them than us.there is not as many people looking at the Rev as they thought would be,at least not looking with their wallets.thats what counts, to the bean counters.I am hearing good reliable rumors of a zx triple from doo for '04 ,so they have not forgotten us all.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cats numbers have been fairly accurate as of late......in the HP department anyways, remember while their 700 may make as much HP as others 800's the torque curve will be narrower, and more than likely lower as well. If the sled only ends up with 130 HP and is 435 lbs it will be a screamer running right with all of the 800 twins out there. I cant wait because when the snow drops the BS stops.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It doesnt matter how many spring orders the REV has gotton.  My dealer already broke his spring order sales record thanks to the rev.  Anyway the moment the revs hit the trails next season everyone will see that there no messing with this sled.  If you follow a rev in the corner with a regular sled and the driver was driving aggressive belive me you wont be able to hold the corner.  

The revs handling is amazing,  like nothing you ever saw before.  IMO the fire cat is a simular kind of machine to the rev but the REV will kill it in every aspect except maybe a drag.  OHWELL thats why there both not drag sleds.  Because a well tuned Mach will still humiliate all!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mighty RX-1, I did see that on another forum, the source for that informaton was Greg Spaulding, AC engineer. If I remember correctly they have to modify some things,can't remember all but I think some of that had to do with heat exchangers, maybe brake position. Also not sure if was 25 exactly , but maybe in the 15 -25 lb range.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts