Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, who would be happy with a new 1000cc or 1100cc Twin with Semi Direct Fuel Injection at 165 hp? Also, this would fit in ANY current chassis that Doo makes including the REV. Is this the sled that we really want? Are we just afraid to ask for it? It is cheaper keeping two cylinders running instead of three. I would really like to try one out and see how it rides. BUT, before Doo made the motor, I would like to see them run the heII out of it and design it for durability. I would gladly take a 10 pound heavier twin motor (than normal) if you could run the crap out of it and it held up for years. 10 pounds is nothing for a bulletproof motor. (Super strong rods, bearings, pistons, rings etc)

Oh and my pet peeve, make the sled ready for studs with factory protectors aleady installed and extra tunnel clearance!
Thus making sure you will never have contact between tunnel and stud.  What do you hard core sledders think?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I would stick with a triple it can be within 25 lb. with 3 pipes, and get away with out the 25 lb. silencer box. A 500 lb triple 1000 is easily possible, with suspension. My 96 F-111 is cut down to 502 lbs. The hood could still be lighter, the primary clutch, all shafts could be lighter but cost a little more to build.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think it's a great plan fast mach but i'm not holding my breath. They allready have the 950 sea doo motor, which is very strong. The problem as I understand it is that when you approach the operating RPM's of the snowmobile,the injection cannot get the fuel in the combustion chamber quick enough. This is why we only have a SDFI motor this year. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good point MXZ900 about the reason why we Have SDI and not Direct Injection......the real problem is cost, the technology exists but is very very expensive. The proof I have that it exists is Formula1 Racing, yes, I know they are 4-strokes, but they twist 19000 rpms, or about the same amount of injections as your average two stroke.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If there going to get rid of the triple then they should get rid of the Mach Z name.  I wouldnt want it tarnished with a twin.  

FastMachZ  are you telling me that bombardier cant afford to get some guy to design a chassie to put a triple in and to handle like and other sled.  #### all most of us want is a zx mach Z with a triple and that can be done with no mods at all.  

Skidoo needs to wake up with there design and realize the winning combo is right infront of them.  I would love for them to give out reasons why were not looking at a ZX 800 triple right now.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm totally with you Machzzzz.  Cat has already gone down that road...pisses me off like you can not believe.  I waited and waited for cat to build a little triple...even bought a freakin P word in 95 cause I got sick of waiting for Cat.  I've had 5 sleds since 95....everyone of them a triple.  So now what? What the #### is a Cat loyalist who doesn't want a John Deere tractor running piece of junk twin  supposed to do now? Totally pisses me off and it looks like SD is headed the same way. I understand Mfg's can't make alot of sleds with low demand...and it seems the general public is caught up in this boy racer wannabe snowcross hype...but GOOD GOD...can't they each keep ONE decent motor for us smart folks?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Twins are the best for snowcross, And you say everyone wants to be a snowcross racer.  I disagree.  I belive that most riders are after amazing ride comfert and handling.  If a sled with a triple could turn like it was on rails i belive that is where the market would go.  Many people are buying the MXZ for its great handling not for its ability to hit jumps and take 10 feet of air.  I belive that the Mach Z should be a F1 car on snow.  Lighting fast but can also corner and handle.  

A triple in a ZX would do that but i think they should go a step further and really make a statment.  

The only reason there is no market is because the manufactors are limiting these sleds to certain buyers buy selling them in chassies that are dated and are beat by all the other chassies in handling.  Also they only make a 800 triple we need a 600 for the people that want the benifit of a small triple.

Common skidoo, Dont make me start flooding your server with emails again.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I found a company in Canida that makes a drop in conversion kit to place a FIII or Mach Z motor in a ZX. They include every single fitting. It's $1,650 Cd funds. Pipes are like $700 In us funds, Jaws makes them for them to there specs. The project is moving along Machzzzz1.
Caleb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well....Cat put their triples in the AWS-5 chassis when it came out...600, 800, 1000cc. Added 3D ignitions, flat slides, 6 got power valves...didn't get enough orders for 02 6's to make the 500 racing minimum. I'm tellin ya...guys wanna be cool like Blair Morgon...and have been brain washed by the "b as in b", "s as in s" of the sled magazines. Think about it....in 1996 the ZRT 6 was Cats best selling sled, when Brian Stugeon and F111 racing was on TV.  Then along came ESPN, the high profile snow cross circuit, Starting with the flyin fin, and then the #### green ZR's ..and whammm..they can't even sell enough triples to make them race legal. I guarentee if F111 oval racing was still popular everyone would be making triples.  Polaris has their part in this as well.  When they went domestic they went twin.....the ones responsible for making triples mainstream..dumped them.  As the largest Mfg..they carry a big stick...and the loyalists dropped their triples cold turkey and bought what ever polaris put in front of them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you guys and disagree some too. I do not think we need a small triple. What we need is a 1200cc triple. As one poster said, an F1 on snow. If your going to go with less power than the current Mach Z, it would seem much cheaper to go with a twin. Remember there is no way you can make a triple for the price of a twin. So, they have moved them up to the high dollar range. The flip side of this is if they tried to sell the Mach Z in volume, it would be interesting to see what would happen. Drop the Mach Z price to match or beat the 800 twin. I think they would sell many more of them. For example, when the new models come out, the Mach Z sells for $8500 or more. But left overs are at $7200.  If people could order new model Mach Zs for $7200, I think they would go to the rock solid triple motor and leave the 800 twin in droves. The triple gets better gas mileage for the trails and has tons of performance. Well, that's my two cents. I think they continually price the Mach Z out of the market. Oh well.......(I'm rambling........)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Certainly one of the main benefits of the 3x3 format is about max hp per CC of displacement. They mod better too. However..it's also about personality...triples are a completely different animal. Powerful, Smoother, refined, more efficient, and the exhaust note (I catch myself leaning over towards the exhaust outlet to get a better listen..LOL) it's a better motor. I have enjoyed all 5 of the 600cc triples I've owned. I have had NO interest in any 600cc twins. The big bore twins are a freakin joke . 7200 rpm peak(twin) vs 8500rpm (triple)with same gearing and hp (therefor similar acceleration) gives the triple 10-15 mph top end advantage. Which one would you want on the lake? or RR grade..or even fast trails? I know where my vote goes . BUT....triples are more expensive to build and the snowcross loving sheep gave the mfgs a way out.  It was like pulling teeth to get them to make triples..but with the success of the XLT they really had no choice. Then as quickly as the came...the sheep jumped ship to be cool like Blair Morgan and ZAPPP nobody buys them so they're gone. They ain't comin back either...the whole thing sucks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
DONT EVER SAY, "MACHZ TWIN" THOSE ARE FIGHT'IN WORDS MR.!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts