Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE MYSELF AS I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. I just got myself a 99 mxz 700 skidoo 6000/km for 3500$ it has brand new studded track and runs like a champ. I hope i didnt get ripped off. I just have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to answer

-lights dont work unless the skidoo is running so my guess is the battery. Where would it be located?????.
-the ownership/title says BRAND: NONE MAKE: HOME Will i have a problem with the fact that it says its home made. Does this kill the value of the sled? Will i have problems if i get stopped or and the ministry
-What kind of gas do you recommend for the sled. I know its a two cylinder i think. do i have to mix it with oil
-is it normal for some smoke to come of when you first start it

I know this is a lot of questions but i really dont know anything about snowmobiling and was hoping to try it this year

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
if it is truely a 99 700 you have one of about 50 or so made. lights= if it has no electric start it has no battery.they light when the stator produces power. fuel , I have been running 87 octane in my 700 for thousands of miles. it has oil injection no need to mix, but you need to add oil to the tank (oil tank that is). smoke while cold is normal. ripped off, well not sure but thats more than I would sell a 2000 700 for. P.S. welcome to the forums

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it is truely a 99 700 you have one of about 50 or so made. lights= if it has no electric start it has no battery.they light when the stator produces power. fuel , I have been running 87 octane in my 700 for thousands of miles. it has oil injection no need to mix, but you need to add oil to the tank (oil tank that is). smoke while cold is normal. ripped off, well not sure but thats more than I would sell a 2000 700 for. P.S. welcome to the forums[/b]
thanks. How can i check if its a 2000 or a 1999. Also can someone guide me into understanding what the Make: Home on the ownership means for me.

·
4,440 Posts
do you have a pic of the sled you can post here? the rear skid frame , on the 99 it had the sc-10 acm the 00 had the sc-10 2. the acm has a adjustable coupler, the coupler has a bolt and nut that adjusts it. the sc-10 2 has the blocks on the rear arm that couple with the rails to get its coupling action. both are just one way action basically for control on acceleration. the early order 00 sleds have 2000 series stamped in the tunnel. checker type graphics on the 99 sleds.

·
4,440 Posts
that is a 2000. reminds me a little bumble bee I used have around. just like it had crank shops twins. check tunnel on the left side where your foot sits, stamped on the spring break sleds is 2000 series. can run pretty good with some clutching.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I think the BRAND means if it was salvaged or has a lien on it. The slips for my car & truck have NONE beside BRAND as well. It has nothing to do w/ the make or model.

About the homemade, I think someone screwed up royally when the sled was initially registered or the seller gave you the paperwork for a trailer. Does the number beside PLATE match the registration numbers on the sled?

Has the ownership been changed yet? Is there a VIN on the paperwork & does it match the VIN on the RH side of the tunnel? If there is no VIN on the slip (which I doubt there would be on something homemade), I think something is definately wrong & you should contact the seller & ask him what's going on.

If the paperwork isn't for the sled & the seller can't produce a proper registration, I'd ask for my money back.

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but something doesn't seem right here. Hopefully you can get it straightened out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all you help guys. To be honest with you i didnt even think to look at the vin and match them. I am at work right now so I will let you know in about 2 hours. Just wondering what a sled like this is worth. It came with dollies and a brand new cover. I hope i didnt over pay. I wish someone that knows a thing or two could of helped me but i dont know anyone that rides

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Research & development. You sometimes hear "stories" of sleds that the manufacturers used for testing & later sell when they are finished w/ them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Welcome to SW. You will have no problem finding info around here so ask away :D . $3500 is a little high but if the sled is in mint condition then it might not matter. You will like that sled & when you start riding you won't even think if you payed to much SWRules

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Did you check your registration slip?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did and there is definetly something messed up. The vin matches the slip but it kind of looks like a aftermarket vin take that was added i am not even sure it original. And i kind of looks like the original one is wiped off. I dont want to think its stolen. I am gonna post some pics off what i am talking about sometimes today and hope you guys can help me. I been away from the computer but hopefully you guys will help me straighten everything out

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I would call the OPP to come and look at the VIN plate to verify it's authenticity. If this sled was a write off repaired the insurer usually strikes the original vin and the ministry assigns a new vin plate (with MTO or Ontario's coat of arms on it). The same applies for a stolen / recovery. I have seen farm sleds that had never been registered and the paperwork lost have the authorities verify whether it was reported stolen and has a clear title, affix new vin plate so that the sled can be registered.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Does a replacement tunnel come from BRP w/ anything stamped on it? I'm wondering if someone replaced the tunnel & changed (wrote on) the paperwork to match?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Possibly stolen or the tunnel's been replaced. It's real easy to call the MTO and tell them you've fabricated your own snowmobile from "frankensteined" parts. They give you a VIN and the ownership will say Brand None, Make Home. I know this because I once bought an insurance claim sled. It had been rear ended and the tunnel was finished. The sled was a 1998. Anyway, I found a tunnel off a mid 90's sled that I could make work. And I called the MTO to ask which VIN I should keep. The VIN tag registered to a 1994 sled, when the rest of the sled was a 98? Or do I take the original VIN tag off the 98 tunnel, and put it on the replacement tunnel? I was informed that it is ILLEGAL to remove a VIN tag, and not a good idea to have a VIN# for a 94 on a 98 sled. (that would make it appear stolen). So his suggestion was to register the snowmobile as "Home made". That gave me a new VIN number, as well as an ownership that read Brand None, Make Home. HOWEVER, I also have an old Skidoo and the ownership reads Brand None, Make Skid. So I don't think the brand part is all that important.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pics. I went to ministry they said the new vin was issued by them and they dont know why. The old vin is not in the system so they dont know why the new one was issued. How can i check myself if it was stolen or if it was salvaged.

You can see the old vin number above the registration sticker. And you can see the tag to the left.
But than again i am thinking that if it was stolen or something the seller surly would do a better job hiding the old vin number. Please help guys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts