Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loved snowmobiling for the first time last year.
Went out today and put a deposit on two "leftover" 2002 Cats.

1. Panther 570 ESR
This is a 2-up for my wife. $4999
2. Z 440 es
For me. $3999

Is this the Deal it seems to me? I have been looking at used in the want ad.

Also does anyone know much about trailering?
I would like to get a 4 place enclosed trailer but I'm not sure how well my 97 s-10 Blazer will handle it.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have a 14 foot Argo enclosed trailer for work and it pulls heavy empty and I have a dodge ram with a 360. I dont know if a Blazer will pull one. I would buy a 8 by 10 tilt trailer and put a slush guard on the front. Stay away from the drive on drive off trailers. In my opinion they take to long to load and unload. Sounds like your on your way in the sled department anyway............GO GREEN

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal on the sleds, but ditto what sled-head said, that would be way too much trailer for that truck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the imput.

I already have a two place trailer, but I have 2 other sleds we bought last year.

Will an open 4 spot work?

Do I need a new truck? :)

Joe
ps. :thumbsup: it snowed here last night :D not much but a good sign!!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I vote for you to buy a 1/2 ton truck w/ a V8. But thats just me. An s-10 will pull an open 4 place no problem,just make sure the trailer brakes work good or else...........

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mxz7,

We'll look for a used 4-place for now, maybe get the V-8 in the spring. :p How about a Tahoe?

Joe SWRules

·
Registered
181 Posts
you might want to try and find a Z570 or Z570esr (I think that's what the deluxe version is called) from last year, lots more power, about 20 to 25 more hp and about the same weight, a little more fun for not much more dough

just an idea

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You can pull a 4 place open trailer with thsat s10
My buddie used s regular cherokee all last yuear to hall 800 cats on a 20ft triton. make sure you used electric brakes though,MANDATORY!!!! and take it easy,smart driving is the most important.
Caleb

·
Registered
168 Posts
Personally I would get a bigger truck, esp. if you travel w/ your sleds alot, it is NO fun being underpowered going up big hills w/ a trailor full of sleds. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again :)

Just to let you know it's a done deal, got another $450.00 off the price of both sleds and also ordered a remeq 4-place Trailer;with electric brakes !!!
Now if the weather will just cooperate :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I realize I am a little late for input to your question but none the less. The deal on the sleds looks good, my NADA guide for 2002 only lists up to the 2001 models and the new book isn't out yet. As for the trailer situation, I see you got plenty of responses too. Some advise: I pull an open 4 place 20' Sled Bed with my '99 GMC Suburban and it makes for a comfortable trip. Yes, you can pull it with an S-10 Blazer but beware, you don't have the size, wheel base and weight to keep it under control as easy as a larger vehicle. Also, one of my pet peeves is people pulling trailers, any kind, with vehicles not wide enough to see past the trailer with the mirrors. It's not smart and just not plain safe for yourself and others. The std mirrors on my Suburban are just wide enough to see past the salt shield/ramps so I know the S-10 mirrors are not up to the job. If you go without salt shields you might be able to see past the machine. And by all means, get the electric brakes when you are running an undersized vehicle especially for winter conditions. Surge brakes will only work if the pulling vehicle is able to provide braking for itself, therefore in snow & ice they don't work that good and they really suck when trying to back it up up-hill. Anyway, don't know if you will even read this but, if someone does it may help them out. THanks. Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
:0: An open four place is the way to go for the sleds; an enclosed trailer is just too much for yours.
Also what the others said about the brakes is very important I know from first hand experience that short vehicles do not handle four place trailers without brakes to keep them straight. I left three sleds scattered along the Interstate near Sheridan WY, a couple years ago and that was a major pain in the butt..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input, I have alot of experience trailering, most with a larger vehicle (3/4 ton van), but I do pull a pop-up with the s-10and never had a problem, I know that the snowmobiles are much heavier hence the brake. Since I couldn't swing a new truck and 2 snowmobiles right now I'll have to make due for now. I don't understand what you mean about the mirrors? (havn't picked up the trailer yet.)
Also, one of my pet peeves is people pulling trailers, any kind, with vehicles not wide enough to see past the trailer with the mirrors. It's not smart and just not plain safe for yourself and others.
SWRules Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
the new trailers r really wide u will not be able to see behind u will need to get the mirror adapters that wiil extend your mirrors out u can get ones that just clip on to the existing mirrors. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the mirror issue with him zippars. It is really a problem out there with so many people driving these mid-sized sport utilities pulling snowmobile trailers, travel trailers, boats, etc. They can't see behind them to safely change lanes or to notice if an Emergency vehicle has come up behind them. You may have a big V6 or a small V8 to make them capable of pulling the load but if you can't see behind you then you are an accident waiting to happen. Even though I have a Suburban, my main ride is a International Scout Terra pickup and since it is technically mid-size I put on full-size truck mirrors so I can see past my salt shields on my 4-place trailer. It works just as good if not better for towing since it has a V-392 and a 4-spd vs. the V-350 and A.T w/O.D.. Weight and wheelbase are very close. Anyway, if you don't run salt shields you are probably fine, but if you do expect to get the wider mirrors or mirror extentions so you don't cause an accident.
Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts