Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that some things can be bought a lot cheaper in Canada than in the U.S.  For example, a friend of mine here in Michigan bought a 4 stroke outboard from a dealer in British Columbia and saved about 25%, even after freight, duty, taxes etc.  Do any of you have any experience or knowledge regarding deals like this on snowmobiles?  I'm looking to buy a new Legend GS 600 or 700.  Are sled prices in Canada going down in general like they are here in the states?  Any sites on the internet to buy through or Skidoo dealers within a days drive of the Sault?  Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Tell me if this sounds like a good deal.  

My dealer is trying to sell a mxz ZX 380 Fan with plastic skis and a Tach.  It also has RER.

He wants 4800.00 CDN and if you buy it he will give you 10%off anything in the dealer for the next year plus $500.00 free accessories or clothing.  Plus i think financing is at or close to 0%.  

He has a 2002 Mach Z which he is selling.  Its gotta be pretty close to cost.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
trailcop,
 it is a lot less to buy sleds in canada than the usa. you might not find a dealer here that will sell you one brand new because i am sure same as any other frachise agreement it will read retail to canadian consumer only. the invoice of each sled will say "not for export" for canadian retail only. but i am sure if the dealer had used or a demo then no problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Paul. I hear what you are saying but disagree. I know several dealers that sell sleds every year to buyers in the U.S. Put some calls in to various dealers and you can save a bundle..i am unsure of the nafta situation on sleds though..steve

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rottie,
 nafta has nothing to do with what i posted. i am talking about the dealer to manufacture franchise agreement, because if that were the case that the canadain dealer sell south for less and the usa dealer will be S O L. oh i am sure there are dealers doing the cross detroit river deals same as any other but you will see or hear the manufacture wacked them in the knuckles. the manufacture will chargeback the canadian export dealer the difference between cost and full retail to their parts account. if he doesn't pay it then get your new moto-ski elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Bottom line is that its cheaper to buy from your own contry.  

The cheapest way is to sideswipe one of those nice transport trucks with the crates on them.  LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I called two Ontario dealers today and got the same answer from both of them.  The manufacturer won't let them sell to U.S. buyers.  One dealer did tell me that there are no governmental restrictions; it's all because the dealers down here don't want to compete (for whatever reason) and they complained to the manufacturer.  Mercury Marine, Honda, etc. no problem.  Sounds like it's just the sled makers.
Thanks to all of you for your input.

·
Registered
190 Posts
From experience I can tell you that it is cheaper to buy from Canada for those of us here in the USA.  

I can also tell you that there are many dealers that will indeed sell to U.S. customers.  I have yet to run into one that won't.  

Last year I spent a lot of time tracking down sleds up there.  I called many dealers, and many sleds being sold by private owners.  I must have talked to at least 10 dealers and they were all more than willing to sell me a new sled.  However, eventually I ended up buying one through private sale.

On my way up to look at the sled that I was interested in (the one that I own now) we stopped at a dealership.  They had brand new Polaris 500's for $5300 Canadian.  At the time it was about $3400 U.S. .  Not a bad deal in my opinion.  

As for the taxes and such....I bought mine private sale and there were no taxes at all.  I just got a bill of sale and the registration card from the owner and they phoned it in when I got to customs.  Everything cleared and I was on my way.  However, you do have to pay tax once you get it registered here in the U.S. (at least here in Vermont you do).  

Now, like I said, this was last year so I may have forgotten a couple of things, but this is how I think it works if you buy from a dealer.  They have two taxes called the PST and the GST.  Basically its like our Fed and State tax.  I am not sure which is which, but one of them is 7% and the other is 7.5%.  When you get to the Tax return place inside of the Duty Free shop they will tell you that they you can only get the 7% tax back and in order to do that you need to have the sleds registered. They said that they use the reg as a statement that you did not buy them just to bring them across the border and make a profit off them.

I guess the only sure fire way of knowing how it works is to call you local customs office and talk to them about it.  This also will help to make sure you have all of the proper paperwork in order for when you come back across the border.

Good luck.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I buy all my sleds from ca much cheaper. The dealer i get them from wont sell them new but will sell one to you with 40 miles on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i was in canada about a month ago and saw a mxzx 800 2002 brand new with 2 prices on it. one candian and one american. the price in american dollars was $7300- with rer and alot of add-ons like colored skis and grilles fornt and back of cowl and gauges.  i have a 02 mxz800 rer and know in the U.S. without all the extras a a regular mxz 800 with rer goes for $7899.-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts