Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,
Just picked up an 00 SXR 700 triple. (Not SRX, it is a single pipe, 94bhp, IIRC) I dont know a heck of alot about the yamaha triples, but I know about the 600 twins and they seem pretty reliable (our 99 SX vmax has 3100 mi, never touched anything other than pms) I was just wondering if the triples were as good as the twins. Mine has about 3200 mi on it, and it had not so much as a scratch on it, it was well taken care of and always dealer serviced. No leaks, and the motor has never been touched. Bone stock, the way I like it. I did notice something though, sometimes if I pile the brakes on a bit, I get a slight and half second clunk from the right side. I checked the caliper and rotor, pads etc. and everything is tight and moves freely (as far as what should move.) It brakes fine, but Im just alittle meticulous about it. That's all. Thanx in advance.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Hey fellas,
Just picked up an 00 SXR 700 triple. (Not SRX, it is a single pipe, 94bhp, IIRC) I dont know a heck of alot about the yamaha triples, but I know about the 600 twins and they seem pretty reliable (our 99 SX vmax has 3100 mi, never touched anything other than pms) I was just wondering if the triples were as good as the twins. Mine has about 3200 mi on it, and it had not so much as a scratch on it, it was well taken care of and always dealer serviced. No leaks, and the motor has never been touched. Bone stock, the way I like it. I did notice something though, sometimes if I pile the brakes on a bit, I get a slight and half second clunk from the right side. I checked the caliper and rotor, pads etc. and everything is tight and moves freely (as far as what should move.) It brakes fine, but Im just alittle meticulous about it. That's all. Thanx in advance.[/b]
chain case , check the play in the chain. yes the triples are as reliable as the 600 twin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does the sled have reverse? If so the clunck is normal.
600 twins were notoriously unreliable. Had three of them. Lost two piston skirts and broke two rings. After that started to rebuild the top end(new pistons) every 5000 miles.
The triple is rock solid. Had three with 10000+ miles no issues.
I question that hp rating, those 700s were stronger than that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No reverse, but like I said, it's very minimal. Plus it has to be a "oh shnikies-theres-a-guywire" stop to get the slight clunk. I have to say too, that is very refreshing to know that it's reliable and dependable. When should I have to expect a rebuild?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
No reverse, but like I said, it's very minimal. Plus it has to be a "oh shnikies-theres-a-guywire" stop to get the slight clunk. I have to say too, that is very refreshing to know that it's reliable and dependable. When should I have to expect a rebuild?[/b]
grab the secondary with the belt off and see how much movement it has going back and forth. sounds like the chain adjustment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
No reverse, but like I said, it's very minimal. Plus it has to be a "oh shnikies-theres-a-guywire" stop to get the slight clunk. I have to say too, that is very refreshing to know that it's reliable and dependable. When should I have to expect a rebuild?[/b]

Rebuild the engine? well it depends on what kind of riding you do.... every two years i do a engine tear down and inspect rings, and cylinders, etc..... every year tho i take the rear suspension in to get rebuilt and greased up, which is something to think about on a decent sled like that... The key part to making sure your engine is in tip top shape is all about what you do for off season storage, do you drain the gas? do you pour a little oil in the top of each of the cyls to prevent rusting? thats all stuff you need to consider.

oh and p.s. a couple of nice pipes and some clutch adjustments and jetting adjustments, and you'll be a few steps closer to the srx, only thing your missing is the powervalves. but as it is now, surprisingly the srx will whoop on any sxr, just because of the way its set up.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always fog my motors, run stabil through it, and I have those plugs with crystals in them to store in the plug holes. They absorb the moisture but also keep the oil from turning into the acidic stuff that it develops into...

·
Registered
164 Posts
As far as when to rebuild, if the engine has been properly maintained/stored and not terribly abused, you shouldn't have to worry about rebuilding for 10 to 15 thousand miles. My friend has a 97 700sx that had a crank bearing go at about 12000 miles. The 97's were known for bearing issues, but it was just the 1 year I believe. When we took the engine apart it looked nearly new inside. The cross-hatch pattern was still on the cylinder walls, and the rings were still within spec, but were close enough to being ready that we decided to rebuild the top end while were at it. Synthetic oil (Amsoil) has been used in the sled since about 2000 miles. I plan on looking at the pistons and rings on my Viper when it hits about 20000 km ( ~12000 miles).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts