Snowmobile World banner

New To Sleding..need Advice

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bombardier01902 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just recently moved to Maine, near my Aunt, Uncle, and their daughters. I lived in New Jersey, and frequently rode Dirtbikes and Quads with my friends down there. After moving to Maine, I bought a Snowmobile from my cousin for a rather good price.

The Sled is a 1998 Ski-Doo MXZ 600. It's a 2-stroke with oil injection. He said he had replaced the suspension in the rear, welded the air intake due to a crack, and had changed the handlebars so that you can stand while riding.

I cleaned up the plastic a little bit, but while doing so, I noticed the skis looked a little worn. I know about the carbide runners on the bottom, that they need to be replaced when they get worn down alot or the skis will shred apart. How long should the carbide runners on the bottom of the ski be before replacing them? Right now, I would say they are

Also, I noticed that there are small squares uniformely placed down the track on the rear. Is there a problem with them, or are they supposed to be there? (I can do my best to supply pictures if needed)

I also read in a magazine that before the season starts, you might want to check the 'engine carbs' and clean them out. What are these engine carbs, and what should I do with them?

Thanks for all the help in advance,

~Devin

See less See more
#4 ·
What is the miles on the skis / sled do you have pic. of the small squares on the track/ wear in maine do you live?[/b]
I'm not exactly sure how many miles are on the skis. I know the sled has 7K miles on it, but i'm pretty sure that they aren't that old. I live just outside of Augusta.

The carbide has about a half an inch on it, maybe a little more.
EDIT: The previous owner said there is about two seasons on the carbide.

As for the tread, they are about a square inch, possibly a little longer, all the way around the track. They are in rows of two.

98 600 mxz :confused: sure its not a 583?[/b]
I'm 95% sure it's a 600. I can double check, but on the registration, it says 1998 MXZ 600.

#5 ·
As for the tread, they are about a square inch, possibly a little longer, all the way around the track. They are in rows of two.
I'm 95% sure it's a 600. I can double check, but on the registration, it says 1998 MXZ 600.[/b]
Maybe studs? with plastic backers. And I don't think they made the 600 in 98. So either a 99 or a 98 583. A picture would tell all.

#6 ·
Hey guys,

I just recently moved to Maine, near my Aunt, Uncle, and their daughters. I lived in New Jersey, and frequently rode Dirtbikes and Quads with my friends down there. After moving to Maine, I bought a Snowmobile from my cousin for a rather good price.

The Sled is a 1998 Ski-Doo MXZ 600. It's a 2-stroke with oil injection. He said he had replaced the suspension in the rear, welded the air intake due to a crack, and had changed the handlebars so that you can stand while riding.

I cleaned up the plastic a little bit, but while doing so, I noticed the skis looked a little worn. I know about the carbide runners on the bottom, that they need to be replaced when they get worn down alot or the skis will shred apart. How long should the carbide runners on the bottom of the ski be before replacing them? Right now, I would say they are

Also, I noticed that there are small squares uniformely placed down the track on the rear. Is there a problem with them, or are they supposed to be there? (I can do my best to supply pictures if needed)

I also read in a magazine that before the season starts, you might want to check the 'engine carbs' and clean them out. What are these engine carbs, and what should I do with them?

Thanks for all the help in advance,

~Devin[/b]

They might be studs are there things that look like nails in them and if its an 600 then it is a 99

#9 ·
Your carbs need to come off so you can ensure that they are not plugged up, because a plugged carb leads to lean fuel mixture which leads no engine kapoot!!! Do some searching for carb cleaning procedures, there is lots on it! Basicaly it involves spraying carb cleaner into the carbs and often using an air hose to blow the junk out of them. I bad cases you can remove your jets and replace them all together, if you do this though also ensure that you replace with the correct size of jet or else you may get lean/rich which leans to...... Anywho pic 1 is of carb from what you will see when you remove the air box. (big black box infront of handle bars, remove 2 rubber straps and jiggle a little and it will come out, revealing your carbs) Second pic is of back of carbs. 3rd pic illustrates where you find the carbs in your engine bay...note that the air box and carbs are not there...yet as I am in the process of reinstalling my engine. Last pic shows the bottom of the carbs with the drain nut removed, exposing your main jet. These are the guys you need to ensure are clean! There is another inside called the pilot jet but like I said do a search theres lots already typed out for you. Hope the pics help.

Attachments

#10 ·
It looks EXACTLY like that. They are just empty sqares. Thanks bomb! What are they?

I'll check again, but i'm almost positive that it's a 600.[/b]
600 was a 99 newbie in the zx chassis with the sc-10acm rear skid. the 98's were in the s-chassis and were 500, 583, 670's same skid. late 99 they had 700's in the zx with the sc-10 acm , very limited build.I tried hard to get one ,could not. glad I couldn't ,in 2000 the zx had the sc-10 2. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Yea, it's definitly the 583. Sorry about the confusion guys.

As for the Carbs, I think I know where they are, but I don't wanna attempt to remove them and screw up the engine. Is it a complicated procedure? Thanks for the help Mach...I think I may be able to do it, but since i'm a snowmobile newbie, I thought it would be better to check first. :)

#17 ·
Yea, it's definitly the 583. Sorry about the confusion guys.

As for the Carbs, I think I know where they are, but I don't wanna attempt to remove them and screw up the engine. Is it a complicated procedure? Thanks for the help Mach...I think I may be able to do it, but since i'm a snowmobile newbie, I thought it would be better to check first. :)[/b]

Remove the airbox (2 rubber clips, one on each side), loosen carb boots (screw clamp in front of carbs), flip carbs over and begin work. I think the only difficult part is getting the air box back in sometimes, well on my triple anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.