Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just got two Yamahas in a package deal: An Enticer 340 and an Excel V EC540. I've never run a sled before and thought it'd be a great way to explore northern Michigan. The Excel needs some service, as it sat around for a long time. I went to turn over the engine but it only goes around by about 1/2 to 3/4 revolution then creaks and sticks. I've pulled the starter, pulled the shroud off around the stator, but haven't yet figured out how to pull the CVT off this engine. I can't even figure out how to get the belt off. It's gotta be something easy, otherwise why run around with a spare belt? I've removed the heads and the bore looks nice and shiny. However I cannot get the engine to turn but 1/2 to 3/4 revolution. I'm somewhat puzzled... Could there have been water in the crank case that buggered up the bottom of one of the cylinders? It definitely looks like the machine was put away wet once since there is some corrosion on the outside of the engine. The plugs look nice though, as if it was a good runner when last started. The stator was packed with seeds from a mouse, as was the fan shroud from sitting outside. However the cylinder bore, looking as nice as it is, makes me wonder why the crankcase could be any different.

Is there a trick to pulling an engine out of a snowmobile, or is it just the simple removal of a few hoses, the CVT, the exhaust, and the three engine mounts?

We're going to try getting if going so my family and I can head off to Cadillac this winter and try out this thing called snowmobiling. I need some kind of motorsport that the whole family can enjoy as they aren't really into cars or motorcycles like I am :) I need to make this thing reliable and enjoyable!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I got the CVT off. That grommet in the side of the sled (which I didn't see) sure helped. It turns out you first back off on the primary clutch, sliding it off as far as the sled housing will allow, then remove the secondary clutch. Slide the primary back onto the output shaft, then remove the belt.

Now it looks somewhat trivial in removal of the engine: Three mounts, a couple wiring connectors, the exhaust, oil injection and fuel lines, then carb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unbelieveable.

Somehow, incredibly, a mouse ate its way through the air filter, and then managed to wedge enough crap into the butterfly valve of the Kehin carbuerator to hold it open. It then proceeded down the intake and wedged a bunch more crap through the reed valves. It then made its nest in the intake and used the reed valves as it's personal outhouse. The reed valve cages are RUSTED, the carb may be totaled as I cannot unstick the choke rod: I'll have to cut the cable. Certainly the venturi surface is pitted with all of an eighth-inch coating of smooshed & smoothed mousie droppings. A lamp and mirror reveal connecting rods that are coated in light rust, and there is discoloration on the cylinder walls. One would have to guess that the rod bearings are also toast. This engine most likely needs a new carb and a total rebuild.

Is it even worth reviving this snowmobile?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I busted a piston while pounding it out of the cylinder. So I need a new one.

I also have one rusted bearing to replace, and fortune smiled and the remainder all move smoothly.

Plus one seal.

Oh, and what can I do for a carb? This one has all the brass pieces looking like antique art deco, covered in black mouse guano and fuzz. Suggestions are welcomed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,
Just a note to tell you that yesterday I got the Excel V to start for the first time. It sounds seriously angry and ready for business! I eventually replaced the gaskets and bearings, and both pistons, but didn't have to rebore the cylinders. The engine starts instantly when keying it over. About the hardest problem, outside from beating the pistons out of the bore, was rewinding the recoil spring. That was a serious pain.

I eventually sawed off a 1-inch wide of four-inch o.d. exhaust tubing, then filed a notch into it, and used it to wind the spring. I chocked up a one-inch rectangular tube into the bench vise, dropped a 4-inch steel disc into the exhaust tube, sandwiched the spring between the tube and the vise, and commenced to wind. The spring retracted into the steel exhaust pipe and wound nicely into a coil. I then pressed it into the spring pocket and out of the exhaust pipe. It snapped into place neat as you like, but it took me about three days to figure out the process. Everything else that I tried ended up looking as if I was wrestling a greasy snake!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just a note to tell you that yesterday I got the Excel V to start for the first time. It sounds seriously angry and ready for business! I eventually replaced the gaskets and bearings, and both pistons, but didn't have to rebore the cylinders. The engine starts instantly when keying it over. About the hardest problem, outside from beating the pistons out of the bore, was rewinding the recoil spring. That was a serious pain.

I eventually sawed off a 1-inch wide of four-inch o.d. exhaust tubing, then filed a notch into it, and used it to wind the spring. I chocked up a one-inch rectangular tube into the bench vise, dropped a 4-inch steel disc into the exhaust tube, sandwiched the spring between the tube and the vise, and commenced to wind. The spring retracted into the steel exhaust pipe and wound nicely into a coil. I then pressed it into the spring pocket and out of the exhaust pipe. It snapped into place neat as you like, but it took me about three days to figure out the process. Everything else that I tried ended up looking as if I was wrestling a greasy snake![/b]

It sounds like you are on your way, and your learning the hard way to fix your stuff but you wont forget hot to fix it again and it will help you dignose a problem if their is one. have you figured out how to get you belt off yet, without removing the motor. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like you are on your way, and your learning the hard way to fix your stuff but you wont forget hot to fix it again and it will help you dignose a problem if their is one. have you figured out how to get you belt off yet, without removing the motor. :)[/b]
haha yea getting the belt off is sometimes tricky. Ive got it down to a pretty good science on my sled now :) finally...best of wishes on your project!

·
Registered
64 Posts
haha yea getting the belt off is sometimes tricky. Ive got it down to a pretty good science on my sled now :) finally...best of wishes on your project![/b]

All i have left to do it put a track on mine and i am ready to go i hope lol. hope you and your family enjoy snowmobiling if we get any snow, we ll see when the time comes but its worth the wait.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got that thing back together and running? We have around a foot of snow here, comin down good!!!! I had my vmax out yesterday...runs awesome (dont all yamahas?) just had to tighten the track a good bit (was slipping on drive sprockets under open throttle) and today found the spedo cable was loose at the jackshaft fitting...hopefully now my spedo works!

I gotta get insurance before i can go hit the trails, and I also need to get new carbides and put the new ski skins on as well. should duct tape up the seat, Ill fix it when it thaws or when spring comes...Other than that im ready to ride!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts