Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I am new to this site so go easy on me. I haven't ridden snowmobiles since I was a kid (20+ years ago). I have convinced my wife and some friends that we should all get some sleds and spend some quality weekends riding trails and having fun. I have no idea about the types of sleds out there (done a little research and found some of the types are mountain, touring, racing, etc.) I don't know what I want or what I even plan to do with the sleds as far as terrain. Is there a good all around type of sled and then is there a better model for that particular type? Any replies and opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
-Tim

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You don't mention where you are from, so I would encourage you to find a popular snowmobiling area and seek out some different outfits that will rent you and your friends some different sleds. Then spend the day swapping them around among yourselves to sample them all. Do that at a couple different places over a couple weekends, and you'll be a much better educated shopper.....

Prior to that, investigate some good clothing. Purchase that first - and don't skimp here looking for short cuts, do it right.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Good idea. Rent for the first season to see if you want ot make a commitment to this sport. I live in Florida and own a 2007 Arctic Cat Z570LX which I purchased last February. The year before my wife and I rented while in the St. Ignace area and fell in love with snowmobiling again after 25 years of not riding.
Welcome to the club!
Richard

·
Registered
903 Posts
It's good to see you get back to the sport. :thumbsup:

Check out www.gosnowmobiling.org

This is a pretty good site for a beginner to answer most of his questions. Once you have an idea of what you want, let us know.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would help[/b]
Sorry guys (I told you that I was new :confused:) I am from the North East (MA). We will likely be visiting our neighboring state(s), New Hampshire (mostly) and Maine.

Some additional information is that I have two teenaged children and my wife. I am not sure how much my wife will ride but I've decided that two sleds is the way to go. The touring seems a bit bulky and I am not sure that I will be spending a lot of 200+ miles days on trails (but you never know). If there is any other information that I should think about before deciding anything else please let me know.

I don't mind the idea of renting for the season but then again, if I get something that I don't really care for, I can always sell it and buy something else. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
you might of inadvertantly nailed it.....you have to figure on the terrain your riding in. then combine that with your desired pace. dont bring up the wife and kids..they might be the fast ones. anyways, if its gonna be rough buy something thats more sno cross, ...smooth more touring , or if you want to go fast over smooth stuff ...well whatever. bottom line is you have to define what you want to do and be real with yourself.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sorry guys (I told you that I was new :confused:) I am from the North East (MA). We will likely be visiting our neighboring state(s), New Hampshire (mostly) and Maine.

Some additional information is that I have two teenaged children and my wife. I am not sure how much my wife will ride but I've decided that two sleds is the way to go. The touring seems a bit bulky and I am not sure that I will be spending a lot of 200+ miles days on trails (but you never know). If there is any other information that I should think about before deciding anything else please let me know.

I don't mind the idea of renting for the season but then again, if I get something that I don't really care for, I can always sell it and buy something else. :rolleyes:[/b]
I am in Central MA.

There is very good snowmobiling to be had in NH and Maine. I'm a NH rider myself.

The first thing I would do is rent some sleds and see what you like. I'm not sure where you plan on going, but there are some real good sled rental places and destinations.

A very good and reasonable place is Jefferson Notch Motel in Randolf, NH. I know the owners personally and they are great people. This is about 15 minutes north of Twin Mountain (Bretton Woods). Twin Mountain is about 2 hours north from you. They rent current Ski-Doo 550 fans- touring (aka 2-ups) and single sleds. Twin Mountain is a very good place to start off as there is not that many yahoos on the trail and the scenery is unreal. The clubs in this area do a good job, but sometimes on weekends the trails get beat up. Check out www.jeffnotchmotel-cabins.com

About 2 hours north of there is Pittsburg. The is the best riding to be had in NH. This is where I am mostly. Although you give up a little scenery compared to Twin, the trails are always flat (except sometimes on weekends) and wide. 150-200 miles a day is easy. My favorite place to stay in Pittsburg is Tall Timber on Back Lake. www.talltimber.com Tall Timber is a very very nice place with an excellent restaurant. A good snowmobile rental up there is Pathfinder Tours www.pathfindersnowtours.com The club in Pittsburg is the Pittsburg Ridge Runners. Their website is www.pittsburgridgerunners.org

When you're ready to buy a sled, there are four makes. Yamaha, Polaris, Ski-Doo, and Arctic Cat. They are all good. I personally like Ski-Doo because they are both fun and easy to ride, lightweight, and reliable. I don't know how much you want to spend, but I know an exceptional Ski-Doo dealer in Twin Mountain called Garneaus Garage. I know the owners personally here as well. They are great people to deal with the the aftersales support is unreal. www.garneausgarage.com They sell trailers too.

I could ramble about snowmobiling in NH all night so I'll shut up now. If you have any specific questions about where to go/stay, etc., let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Central MA.

...[/b]
Droptop, that is awesome information and much appreciated. I will definitely look into all of that. I am located about 1.5 hours from the NH border (I live on the RI border now).

I personally like Ski-Doo because they are both fun and easy to ride, lightweight, and reliable
...[/b]
I could be partial to Ski-doo as I "doo" currently own a 20' Sea-doo Challanger boat. :D

I don't know how much you want to spend
...[/b]
I am hoping to stay around <12K (I figure between 10-15K with trailer and gear)? Maybe that is wishful thinking, I'm not too sure.

P.S. I am also part of the "droptop" club .... life is good!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
welcome to the forums, and back to the sport. michahicks said it in the first post , the best info you can have. but buy a doo :whistling: .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Droptop, that is awesome information and much appreciated. I will definitely look into all of that. I am located about 1.5 hours from the NH border (I live on the RI border now).
I could be partial to Ski-doo as I "doo" currently own a 20' Sea-doo Challanger boat. :D
I am hoping to stay around <12K (I figure between 10-15K with trailer and gear)? Maybe that is wishful thinking, I'm not too sure.

P.S. I am also part of the "droptop" club .... life is good![/b]
For 12K... you get
1 new 2 place $1000 trailer
2 nice low mile used sleds
$1000 in gear for you, wife, kids
$300 in registration for sleds, trailer, trail passes

The renting is a good idea - otherwise I would recommend a fan cooled sled (550, 570) and a 600 liquid. You want to keep them light weight as well because since you are new to sledding - you will be doing lots of lifting and dragging (stuck alot) - it happens to everybody.

·
Registered
361 Posts
if you do go with the touring i have two for sell the are both ski-doo grand touring a 2002 500 liquid and a 2003 550fan two up sleds with 2008 miles on the liquid and 2063 on the fan i live in LYNN MA if you wont to see them i will make you a great deal on them with that said if you do go to maine i whould have to say rangeley is the place its 5 1\2 hours from lynn up there but its great up there plus no speed limted like newhampshier wear it is 45mph one more thing you should know in nh you need to be in a club or the fee to regerster them is a lot more nonresident club member fee is $63 and a nonresident non club member is $93 in maine you well pay 66 to regerster them nad the trail in new hampshier open on the 12/15 hope you love the sport like i do

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts