Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SRX does not show up on the Yammi web site.  Did they replace the SRX witht the Viper?  Is the same engine that was in the SRX now in the Viper?

What are the specs of the Viper?  How does the HP and weight compare to the new Firecat F7?  Firecat is 140 HP and 135 lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They replaced the SRX with the rx-1.  As far as comparing the Viper and the firecat F7.....don't.  The firecat "supposedly" weighs 435 pounds with 145hp, the Viper has around 120-125hp, and weighs closer to 500 pounds.....no comparison.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the SRX only has 120-125 hp, how is it then that it was keeping up with most 800's and beating some?

·
Registered
87 Posts
that's what they claimed in '98.  I've allways said 142 but i get jumped on by others saying , "that's got more than 142, you fly by me like i'm standing still",  &  they say "they allways jump a 2-3 hp a yr".
 I guess ya can't be right, no matter what you say. next someone will come on saying their's stock will go 130.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's cats new plastic cat.  The only thing not made of plastic is the engine, it's ceramic.  They claim the sled has more HP than it weights.  Unfortunately, it only has a 3 hour warranty.  The top brass at cat are worried someone might actually ride it on a trail and break something

·
Registered
4 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MightyMach @ Feb. 04 2002, 10:57pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's cats new plastic cat.  The only thing not made of plastic is the engine, it's ceramic.  They claim the sled has more HP than it weights.  Unfortunately, it only has a 3 hour warranty.  The top brass at cat are worried someone might actually ride it on a trail and break something
[/b][/quote]
Stop dreaming mighty mach.I'd like to meet,sounds like you're scared of the new weapon from team green.  

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Viper and SRX are not the same engine, also the SRX has triple pipes and the Viper is a single pipe. As for the weight of any new sleds we will wait and see. Last year the SRX triple was 614 and the ZR 800 twin was 572, fuel and studs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorrry I goofed up before.  I'm surprised that if the SRX was their most powerful sled, they abonded it in place of the hi performance 4 stroke.  Yeah, it is close in weight and HP, but I think that a lot of people want hi HP but won't jump into buying an unproven 4 stroke yet.  So if a buyer is not ready to buy a 4 stroke yet, that means that the biggest Yammi is the 700 trip Viper with 125 HP?  Wow, that doesn't seem like good marketing.  Especially with Cat making a 700 twin with close to 15 hp more.  Maybe Yammi still has something up their sleeve for 03?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with you jayjaysin...Yamaha doesn't really have much to offer the consumer.  If you don't want the big expensive 4 stroke then there doesn't seem to be much.  From a business standpoint, however, it makes sense so if they can get away with offering only two sleds more power to them.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yamaha doesnt care about the consumer.  They just do there own thing.  If i were a yamaha fan i would want to see my brand compeating in snowcross with a serious sled.  Yamaha just barely shows up at these events.  With all there power and money and small engine building skills they dont even have a competitive racer.  

And dont for one miniute think that the RX-1 was a gift to all yamaha fans.  They made the RX-1 because its easier for them to make the RX-1.  Yamaha mostly makes motorcycles and now they have a good excuse to put that tech in sleds.

An other example of yamahas loyalty to there customers is how they claimed the viper could beat a srx in a drag and how it was so great,  They made it sound like the best racer on earth.  You could almost picture them racing it in snowcross.  The magazines played right into there hype and alot of people bought this sled.  Only to find that its a gutless wonder compaired to what yamaha said it was.  Its a good thing that the viper scores high in other places otherwise yamaha might have had a serious problem.  

Yamaha does this with everything.  THEY LIE RIGHT TO ALL OF OUR FACES.  

Examples.

Grissly 660 ATV - They claim its the fastest most powerfull work atv.  (Polaris 700, Kawasakis v-twin, Traxter 650 all make more power and other then the traxter both polaris and kawasakis atv are faster and scored higher on the test.  Not only that but the grissly is dangerously unstable during braking.)

Raptor 660 - They claim it the fastest sport atv and that all other manufactors should start running. (Well how come the DS650 will beat it in almost every catagory and won all the races.)

SRX - Its the fastest stock snowmobile. - Well my mach beats my neighours brand new out of the box SRX. I never see a srx win anything at hill climes or drag races.  

Viper- Im not even going there.

and now there all ready started with the RX-1 well even if it is great no matter how great it really is and how fast it might go.  No matter how much more reliable or enviro friendly or how much better fuel eco is.  I dont care.  I am never going to buy Yamaha again.  They sucked me in on there atvs and im regreting it every trip to the dealer for backordered parts.  

The only thing yamaha know and doesnt lie about is there outboard.  Ill give em that, but who ever is incharge of there advertising department should be fired.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, Mach, you feel pretty strongly about the subject!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
MachZZZZ1, I'd like to see the ad that claims the viper will beat the srx?  Also, What kinds of problems have you had with your Yamaha atv?  I have a 1988 warrior that I beat like a bad dog and that thing hasn't even fouled a plug in all these years.  The only thing I have ever done to it is change oil, add gas and I have replaced the battery twice.  Wait I did have to replace the handle bars, I really couldn't blame that one on Yamaha after it rolled down a very steep hill about 7 times. Yes, it was my fault.  

Thunderstruck, as far as dreaming, I'm not. I realize that Cat currently has the most unreliable sled on the snow, I just can't imagine how bad things will get when they unveil something so underweight.  I doubt that they are using titanium in these things which is the only product that will give you weight reduction while maintaining and actually making it stronger than steel or aluminum..

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Mighty Mach.  

I have a 1996 Kodiak, a 2000 Kodiak and a 2002 Grissly 660.  

The 96 was a good bike but the 2000 had a big drop in quality.  Everything was plastic.  The brake lines freeze up and dont work in the winter.  Same for the griss.  

The engines hardly work in winter.  They dont hold an idle,  Will stall if not kept going by throttle.  The starter motor sucks and if it gets damp doesnt turn.  The pull start is hard as hell.  Grissly eats oil and i had a internal seal failuar that caused engine oil to leak out over my clutch causing a loss in power and caused the engine to run out of oil.  

Moisture gets behind the gauges and the new grissly has a digital gauge that sucks.    

The kodiak is on its 2nd rear disk brake because the first one got chewed up.  

And the worst thing is that with the new clutch driven bikes like the two i got.  If you go in the water and it splashes over the clutch snorkle (which is fairly low) the bike just stops and it wont dry out.  And half the time the snorkle just pops of because yamaha uses a snorkle that is to short.  

The older bike like my 96 and your warrior are great.  Built with steel and never a problem.  I wore out the clutch and have to put a new one in.  Its not a manual clutch its a hydrolic one.  

Over the years i have been in the dealer for many things and there never on time.  I have missed out on so many weekends.

The viper beating the SRX was in a magazine coming from a yamaha offical.  I will post it if i can find it.  It states that the viper will beat the srx in a drag race and only pail over in at top end.  But it take the SRX only starts to pull on it at 140km.  This is BS.  

As for your opinion on Arctic Cats.  Well im going to agree that they have the most problems and that this firecat is going to be full of problems.  Mightymach is right.  unless titanium or carbon fiber is used quality will suffer as the weight goes down.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow, are you sure you don't have Polaris ATV's

I can see where you're coming from.  If I would have had that many problems I wouldn't be real happy either.

I'm also kinda sad today, my mach went down the road last night  
  The RX-1 better pan out or I'll be back

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
What do you mean your mach went down the road.  Did you sell it or did it crap out.

Also you have to remeber that all my atv troubles happend over a period of 2 years of hard driving.  

I just resent how yamaha lies and you have to admit that they do.  Or lets say that they raced a srx against a mach and the machs third plug was fouled and the srx won.  All of a sudden its the fastest.  

The RX-1 is going to work out for you.  Its yamahas ball game.  They make bike engines and now there in there element.  But I will never buy one.  Im going to wait it out with doo because they will have somthing in a year or two that will totally destroy the RX1 lol.  Maybe even sooner then you think.  I also like 2 stroke and thats just the way i am.  

Im very brand loyal but i dont mind if other people buy other stuff.  Like i said before all my other finds ride cat and pol.  But normally there all good and as twisted a yamahas advertizments are there still better then most in quality.  

By the way if your ever going to by a new ATV.  Dont compare your warrior to the new stuff.  Yamaha has changed and got greedy.  There taking all the short cuts and are cutting weight just to make there machines sound better.  

Its like you said before about AC.  "If you cut weight and your not using titanium or carbon fiber then your quality is down."   Its the same story here.  

At least when you get your RX-1 I can count on you giving a truthful report on weather this thing is as good as they say it is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Machzzzzzzzzz1, It seems apparent that you don't ride a Yamaha, I have never really read anything that you have said about a Yamaha that didn't say anything positive. I don't go to the Ski-doo forum and put up post about what a slug, or anything of that nature about a Ski-doo. I don't care that my Yamaha will get beat by a thundercat, a summit or rmk in a 1/4 mile. I bought one due to the fact that I have watched a raving lunatic here where I live, flip a Mountain Max, climbed higher than a Thunder cat, rarely ever got stuck, rolled it twice without even breaking a windshield, full throttle all day long, and that sob just keeps running and starts on the first pull everytime and its a 1999. Everyone has a right to comments, but I don't appreciate you coming here to a Yamaha forum to let me know what a piece of s(&^t my $6,200 sled is. Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Went down the road as in its new owner picked her up.  As far as new quads go, I do have a 2000 wolverine which is the 4x4 version of the warrior.  It isn't as fun to ride as the warrior but boy does it go thru the crap and haul a trailer nice.  Except for it being a 4x4 and changing the position of the headlights (up higher on the wolverine) and moving the reverse lever it appears every bit as durable as the 12 year older warrior. Funny thing is, after 12 years, the warrior starts and runs just like the wolverine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts