Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, please bare with me if i mess up some how this is my first
post. but i been faithly reading the message forum for almost 9 months but anyway lets get
to the point :)

ok, i just bought a new Black ZR900 Snow pro and my questions are

1. i am thinking about puting a silencer, clutch kit and vforce reeds on it
and just wondering which one would you use? i was thinking of black magic but have heard some bad things about them.

2. since it has the 1.25 track how many studs would you use. i know some people use 96 down the middle. but with this much horsepower? but then i don't want to get to many and gain to much weight and lose performance. sence i am already 270 :)

3. has any tried the SLP air box kit they got for it?

4. what about amsoil? i use it in my polaris edge and like it any difference in the APV

5. Is ther anything i should look for or be carefull about?

ok thanks for your time any info would be helpfull?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
First off, welcome and it's about time you joined!haha :thumbsup:
I would go with Speedwerx for your silencer and clutch kit. I have heard some very good things about their setup and am not a big black magic fan anyway. JMO though. ;)
As for studs, personaly I would run 144 down the center. 94 would be too few and you would most likely end up tearing a few out if you hooked good.
I haven't tried the SLP airbox, but have looked into the Powerbreather. I'm sure they have the same gains. Only problem with that is that you have to find a new place to mount everything and you loose your toolbox on the lid. Not that big of a deal, but something to be ready for.
I know several people that have run amsoil in their APV sleds and they just clean the valves ever 1000 miles or so as you normaly should. I am running the new APV oil in mine since they gave me 2 gallons of the stuff to use. :D The new stuff is "supposed" to be much better than the previousl stuff which gummed up real bad. I do know that you can't go wrong with amsoil though.
Things to be carful of, only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to watch your tunnel clearance when you stud your sled. Be sure that if you bottom out or hit a big bump you don't hit anything underneath the sled or a heat exchanger, which I think they are running the exchangers along the running boards now on the new sleds. I haven't looked under mine yet...
That's my 1$ worth. :p

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 18 2002, 03:36 AM

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Nicely said. I agree with everything except using Cat's oil, even if it was cheap/free. Last year with my ZR-800 I had nothing but problems with exhaust valve build up during the first couple or three hundred miles while using their oil. I cleaned the valves for the third time, threw the AC oil in the recycle bin, filled er up with Amsoil and didn't need to clean the valves again in 2000 miles. Some time after changing oils I did turn the oil pump down but it was only to reduce oil consumption not stop the valves from sticking. Plus check out the price, Amsoil is far more economical compared to the factory oils.
Rick.

·
Registered
741 Posts
PH, I knew you would chime in. I am pretty much wth PH. I am putting the D&D powerbreather on mine, you do not lose the toolbox, there is one preformed in the breather, a little smaller maybe and the tools don't fit snugly but did they ever before. I am also going speedwerx, mono-block head- pipe kit. I also have some v-force's and spacers for it. I only have a 1' track but used 192 1.175 studs. I am using SW clutch kit as I am using their pipe, only they know waht works best with their pipe. I hope to be posting a pic of it here soon as soon a I ca fugure out how to post the pics. Kevin

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, if it were my sled I wouldn't change anything on the sled but the gears (24/38) until the warranty runs out. Engine parts are very, very expensive. Get a good feel for how the sleds driveabilty (throttle responce ect, ect) is in the stock form. Then change one thing at a time and evaluate the performance gain. If your thinking of installing twin pipes don't buy a clutch kit first because you will have to buy another clutch kit when you install the twin pipes. Just my .02.

Auggie

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Auggie, what is the stock gearing on these anyway? Is the 24/38 geared up or down, I'm guessing down?
ZR sled head, was that last year or this year that cat went to the supposed "improved" APV oil? I used their Arctic Extreme in the past with great luck, but obviously not on an APV. If the APV stuff is that bad I will just sell it rather than risk it, but there aren't many places around here that sell amsoil that I've seen. ???
sleddinfool, I always have to chime in.LOL :p

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 17 2002, 11:14 PM

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes they called it the new and improved last year. The thing thats strange to me is that for as many folks that had problems using it last year theres just as many that didn't. All I can tell you is it didn't work well for me and the Amsoil did.
Good luck with whatever you choose and thats one super nice looking sled.
Rick.

·
Registered
476 Posts
PH, the "03" ZR900's stock gearing is 24/39 (1.63) and the "03" ZR900 S/P is 26/42 (1.58). The 24/38 gearing I suggested also = 1.58 and you can use your stock 72P chain. Then you only have to buy a 38T bottom gear.

Auggie

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:withstupid:

Run the amsoil. In total agreement with everyone else.
Do 144 down the center. You can always add more later.
Don't worry about clearance. I have same track.
Have a Fun! :p

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by Auggie@Oct 17 2002, 11:41 PM
PH, the "03" ZR900's stock gearing is 24/39 (1.63) and the "03" ZR900 S/P is 26/42 (1.58). The 24/38 gearing I suggested also = 1.58 and you can use your stock 72P chain. Then you only have to buy a 38T bottom gear.

Auggie
Thanks Auggie, I'll have to give that a try. I am in luck, I have a 38T left over from different gears I used in the zert.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, people for the response you are all very helpfull.
also just to tell you guys it is suppose to snow this weekend nothen that will stick on the groud but it is a start :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
You will love this sled, it is a torque monster :D , like auggie said, ifyour going to modify, do one thing at a time.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Hey auggie, are the gears 13 or 15 wide stock? I checked on the 38t I had and it's a 13, but would think the new sleds are running 15 wide?? ???

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I know for sure that the "03" ZR900 S/P uses 15W gears and I think that your sled has 13W gears. If not it would be no problem to use a 13W bottom gear on a 15W setup. The chain has quite a few teeth inbedded in it on the bottom gear compared to the top gear. After all T-Cats 1000's (170hp) have used 13W gears for quite a few years. Make sure to line up the gears with a streight edge without the chain installed.

Auggie

·
Registered
285 Posts
Actually, I believe the 03 900 stock gearing is 26/41 15W top 13W bottom. Only reverse kit available is 24/39 which is the same as the 02.5 900 gearing. Austin :D

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by zr9er@Oct 20 2002, 12:58 AM
Actually, I believe the 03 900 stock gearing is 26/41 15W top 13W bottom. Only reverse kit available is 24/39 which is the same as the 02.5 900 gearing. Austin :D
Hhhhmm, I'm going to have to pull the case tomorrow and find out for sure, cuz now I'm realy curious!haha

·
Registered
285 Posts
If my freakin black standard would show up :( I would do the same. :D

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I would have to agree w/Auggie....run it for a season (or half a season if you get more snow than I do :sly: ) first and "feel" the sled. What everyone else needs/wants may not be the same thing you want. I want extra performance like anyone else, but I can't believe how many people talk about modifying their sled before they even put any miles on it, especially when the sled is a new model like the F-series. Just my .02.

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts