Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning on a late season(also our first)sleddin trip.  My wife has recently just started to get some seat time but has been limited do the the lack of white stuff.   I'm wondering if Newberry would be a decent place to go.  I'm thinking(hoping) the UP will still have rideable snow, we are planning on leaving the next week March 21.  I guess I'm looking for some replies from others who have been there or some input on another place in that area, not any further.  I really would like to stay closer but don't think Cadillac or the other usual sleddin spots are going to have any snow.  It could all change if we get a late season dumping, but don't think that's gonna happen.  
We will not be doing any of that 200 or 300 mile a day deals, mainly fun riding, partying, as it's our 15th aniversary.

I thank all who reply and really appreciate it, I'm just trying to get a leg up on providing her with a decent time without any real hassles, so please give me the good scoop!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dont know about Newberry, but I was in Bergland last weekend and all I can say is OH MY GOD IT WAS AWESOME! They had drifts that were at least 6 ft tall no [email protected]! Lake Goebic was so full of snow it felt like riding a wave runner! I would seriously consider going there!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention...clue me in on the places to stay also...don't need anything fancy, just clean, cozy, close to trails, chow and spirirts.

Please feel free to email if you like, thanks again.

Lick'n

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
we was there sat. and it was raining but it got cold sunday there was plenty of snow so it should be good riding.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any additional comments on where to go in the UP for end of next week would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for all replies.

Lick'n

·
Registered
39 Posts
Newberry's pretty cool.  Plenty of lodging.  Best Wester on the South side of town.  I stayed at the Evening Star.  The manager post trail conditions for Newberry on the www.fishweb.com site.  The rooms weren't the greatest, but plenty of parking and she seemed to really pay attention to who was coming and going all night long, which made me feel a whole lot more secure about the sleds/trailers.  Real good pizza place in town free delivery and good price.  Don't remember the name though.  From New. a neat ride is the loop on the falls trail, (trail 45) to Paradise.  West on trail 8, then back down to Newberry on trail 9.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There's also a Comfort Inn at the intersection of M-28/M-123, not to far from the Best Western. Plenty of smaller places like the Evening Star and Zeller's. Just do a "lodging in Newberry" search, that should help. Nice thing about Newberry is, it's sort of a central hub to go anywhere. Paradise, Seney, Grand Marais, Curtis are all decent trips. I'll be heading up there this next weekend with my wife as well. Not sure where we'll be staying though, probably the Best Western or Comfort Inn. probably doing the loop up to the Taq. Falls and back. Should be a good trip for the wife. Pray for snow....Butch.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Newberry is a  great spot  went through there sat. afternoon, ...3/16.. but tons of sleds and riders. We were over in the keewenau riding on thur. and friday and it was the best riding we have had in years!!. they got 22" of snow in baraga where we stayed thur. night on top of the 15 inches or so  they had on the ground already. There is 3 feet plus on the ground in places in the northwest part of the U.P., not much on the southern side of the U.P., stay north of hwy. 28.
Stayed at the super 8 in baraga $54.00...But,  On the way up on wed. nite we stayed at the comfort inn in newberry to sleep as we passed through, they got us for $93.00 for the nite! Mobil gas was $1.39 for reg, $1.56 for prem. in newberry.  If you have the time to go a little further west, I would go to the fox river motel in Sceny, Don and Diane the owners are great, the place isn't new, but clean and well kept.  I think the rooms go for $55.00 or so, and you can ride most anywhere from there, and not quite as many sleds, which I look for when taking the wife. .  Munising has a super 8 and a comfort inn, and a few more in town, not sure on their rates.  There isn't any rideable snow south of the bridge in the lower that we saw. ride safe...DooZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts