Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my own sled this year. I am looking to spend around 2,500 to 3,500 on a 96-99 600. I ride anywhere from ditches, to lakes, to rivers, to trails. what would be the best 600 in those price and year ranges. thanks

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
well, it would help everyone out if you were to put your location into your profile. ;)

What kind of dealers do you have nearest you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There it is now. Central Minnesota. There is a small dealership near me that sells used snowmobiles, fourwheelers, and motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
What brand does your dealer sell and do you have a brand preference? All the Mfg.s have great 600s now so you will have a hard choice if you are open to all of them. Are you looking for a twin or a triple, or do you even know?haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this local place has all 4 mfg's. you have both asked about dealerships. Do you not recommend I buy from a private seller? I am open to all the brands, and I am not sure of the advantages/disadvantages to a twin/triple

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I have always had more luck buying from private sellers. As far as dealers are concerned they tend to overcharge for machines... and they will never give you a straight story on the machine... mostly cause they dont know. I find that there are many good deals out there if you are willing to spend the time shopping and if you have some patience... If I am looking for a used sled i look for something with low miles, that has been obviously garaged and someone who knows what they are talking about... A thorough check over the machine will often reveal any obvious problems.

Since you are looking for an all around machine i would recommend a ZL 600... My buddies have them and I happen to think they are a great sled with a very comfortable suspension system... all of the major 4 do have good 600 but suspension is important too... if you buy soething too stiff your going to regret it..

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I just assumed you were looking at a dealership matt. You will almost always find better deals from private party sales, however if you don't know what to look out for you could get taken unfortunately. IMO for your first sled you would be better of buying from a dealership. Why? Because they have all their sleds looked over prior to selling them and you stand a better chance of not getting a lemon. However, if you find a good buy on a sled you want that is private party, try and get a buddy to come with you that knows what to look out for when buying used. ;)
The advatages and twins vs. triples has been a very contraversial topic. Main things to know about the two types is that triple are heavier, but have more hp. Twins are lighter and get good mileage.
You have a hard decision ahead of you. If I were to get a 600 twin I would have a very hard decision between the MXZ, XC, and ZR. ???

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 19 2002, 07:31 PM

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
matth,
welcome aboard newcomer,

i disagree with the fellows there about dealers and believe in my dealer. if the dealer has been around for a long while then he must be good. people know that you make a good deal with a bad guy so they stay away from his place and eventually he will go the way of the dinosaur. i know from experience that i had with a partner.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My advise would be to check through the local classifieds and dealers for an idea of how far your buying bucks will go and what suits you.
No doubt buying private will be somewhat cheaper but its also the way your most prone to buying a clunker. Unless you have someone very much in the know about sleds, save yourself grief and buy from a dealer. Any reputable dealer offers some sort of a limited warranty on their used units.
Make sure you get it in writing.
Enjoy your purchase
:)
Rick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts