Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my first sled-1997 MXZ 583 with 3200 miles. Am excited and interested in opinions on the sled including both good and bad characteristics. Would be interested in any maintenance procedures that are important. Will be mainly using for long (100+mile) trail rides. Sled has deep tread and is not spiked. Under what conditions should I consider the need for spiking? Is electronic reverse able to be added to this combo? Thanks for all help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ive heard great things about adding the ad boivin suspension kit,its not expensive and helps out in the stutter bumps

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
The 583 is a bullet proof engine. Once you figure out the primer "password" you're all set. The Boivin ETS kit is supposed to be a great upgrade for trail riding. You would only need picks of you ride on alot of icy trails. make sure you clean the carbs every fall before riding, and it doesn't hurt ot have the clutches cleaned and suspension inspected before every new season either. You'll have a blast on that sled. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Oh...and no...you can't have electronic reverse. The mechanical reverse is avail, but takes away top speed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 97 MXZ 583 with A.D. BOIVIN ETS kit, it really improves the ride ! You can get mech. rev. but electric start won't fit on that model, the motor sits lower than in a formula Z. Also 96 picks and 8" of carbide on skis works great.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does that sled have all plastic skis? (not skins) If you don't have plastic skis, get a set of precision skis. That is a wonderful upgrade!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. I have the same sled and I have had nothing but happy trails!!! Some things I have done are shortened intakes on the carbs(off a 95 formula SS) and a 50/44 dual angle helix. It really brings the sled alive if you like really blasting out of corners. I also added the regular flex skis which made a huge difference in handling. It takes some work to install them but if you want to, just email me and I'll send you the instructions. Anyways good luck and enjoy your ride :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Awesome sled! Maybe one of the 10 best of all time! Bulletproof reliable, good mileage, good power. The only real bad is inside ski lift in the corners. Run the limiter strap short to reduce it. Two good upgrades - plastic skis are a must and the ADBoivin kit is a good improvement. If you want it to ride softer after the Boivin kit is put on then install a front shock spring from a 2002 MXZ with the SC10II suspension.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
You can add electric start(if you want to)

You will need the motor mount plate from the FormulaZ 583 97-98 or FDX 98-99

Friends dad did it to his 97 MXZ583

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts